Allow more contributors to propose changes to our GitLab configuration
gitlab-config.git repo is only accessible to sysadmins.
IMO at least
committers-team should be allowed to clone, and propose MRs against, that repo.
This would address a number of problems:
- RMs could open MRs for group milestones changes they have to do (see b170e128).
- Committers could propose new group labels: in the last few days, 2 tails/tails project labels were created (because committers are allowed to do that, but they can't edit group labels) while these should really have been group labels.
- When a team onboards a new member or offboards a previous member, perhaps they could send a MR for the corresponding GitLab group membership change.
- Committers could propose new projects under the
tails/namespace, ensuring our common project settings & permission model are applied.
I propose we:
- allow committers to clone that repo and push to non-protected branches
- document how to propose changes to our GitLab config
I volunteer to do all this once we agree on something.