Have plans to release our VeraCrypt work in Tails
Our work on VeraCrypt will likely:
- Affect many Debian packages (libblockdev, udisks, gnome-disk-utility, gvfs, libgtk, gnome-shell)
- Be based on the development version of these packages. For example, the dialog to format a partition in Disks has been rewritten since the version in Debian Stretch.
- As a consequence, not be easy to backport in Debian Stretch.
So we could take different approaches to have our changes land in Tails:
- A. Create backports our changes to make them work in Debian Stretch and maintain these backports during the Stretch cycle. But I don’t see this being considered in the budget.
- B. Build custom packages of our changes to have them in Tails only and maintain these custom packages during the Stretch cycle.
- C. Build custom packages and only use them in a beta version for user testing and community feedback. Then wait until Tails is based on Debian testing or Stretch to have them in Tails. That would change our plans regarding the delivery of these changes in our official version.
We discussed this with u and segfault during the sprint but felt like we needed some insight from intrigeri regarding what would be best to do, both as our high level manager and as the one behind #12615, because having Tails based on Debian testing would solve this but we understand that we can’t rely on this.
intrigeri: Did you had something in mind for that already that we missed?
Parent Task: #14468 (closed)