Originally created by Tails on #6019 (Redmine)
The design document dedicated to virtualization support contains notes about the already working bits in this field.
Tails as a VirtualBox guest
The VirtualBox 4.x guest utilities, X11 drivers and kernel modules are installed inside Tails.
- the option to integrate the guest windows inside a X11 desktop
- kernel modules are loaded at runtime
- X11 auto-detects the VirtualBox video and input drivers
- sharing folders between a GNU/Linux host and a Tails guest
- mouse integration
Since we want to support the "Tails as a guest inside Windows" usecase, we need to test:
- desktop integration inside Windows
- Win7 SP1, VirtualBox 4.0.4 r70112: mouse integration works flawlessly
- filesharing between a Tails guest and a Windows host
No bug report about it for a while, let’s close this task.
Tails as a VMware guest
Seems to work fine inside VMWare Player 3, using the ISO as the guest’s CD-ROM, with the ‘Debian 5’ Guest OS preset.
Warn users when running inside a VM
Most of the work has been done.
Left to do:
- warn users when running in a non-free VM
- when running inside a VM within a non-free host OS, emphasize the pseudo-security situation; seems almost impossible, let’s forget about it
Autorun Tails in Windows
See autorun in Windows.