Add VirtualBox host software
Originally created by Tails on #5606 (Redmine)
Rationale: running a proprietary OS in a virtual machine inside Tails would be useful by folks who cannot afford doing without their preferred Windows-only piece of software but still want to work in a relatively secure environment.
- Install VirtualBox packages from our APT repository instead of from
- Rewrite history of
feature/virtualbox-hostto not include the host binary packages.
- Try just deleting the VirtualBox networking drivers files
vboxnetflt) to disable network support altogether, see if it breaks anything else, (proposed in January 2013 in the "Tails 0.14 rc1 virtualization testing & howto install virtualbox and vmplayer" thread)
Later / maybe
- Research how to disable VirtualBox network modes that bypass the Tails firewall: see discussion on tails-dev (2012Q4, "Tails 0.14 rc1 virtualization testing & howto install virtualbox and vmplayer" and "VirtualBox host software vs. networking" threads).
How To Set Up A TOR Middlebox Routing All VirtualBox Virtual
Machine Traffic Over The TOR
(Using an adaptation of this we could instruct users to set up each
guest with Bridged Adapter on
vnet0and then it should magically rout all traffic from the VM through Tor. Identity correlation could be dealt with by using a dedicated TransPort with the IsolateDestAddr option set.)
- Whonix (back in times where it still was called TorBOX) implemented
something very similar:
- Tor was running on the host = Tails in this case.
- Some operating system was running inside the Virtual Machine.
- iptables / bridging was used to route all VM traffic through Tor.
- It was probable affected by identity correlation through circuit sharing.
Feature Branch: feature/virtualbox-host