Tor bootstrap with some obfs4 bridges gets stuck, solved by restarting Tor Connection
During #18762 (closed), 3 out of 4 participants had a progress bar that was suuuuuuper slow when connecting to Tor using a well-working bridge.
After several minutes, I shut down Tor Connection, restarted it and got connected to Tor within seconds.
I can share footage if needed.
Also, even connecting to Tor without bridges was much slower than I would have expected. The connection at the hotel was otherwise super fast and people could download a full USB image of Tails within 10 minutes or so.
Also reported in "Tor Connection obfs4 issue" on tails-bugs@ with screenshots. The reporter includes interesting information about how Onion Circuits behaves meanwhile:
- Tor Connection successfully gets to the point of finding the bridge's serial number.
- Tor Connection successfully resolves the bridge's name.
- The bridge's name disappears from Onion Circuits. If I let it stay in that state, Tor Connection waits a long time and never connects.
- I close Tor Connection, telling it to Close and Lose Progress.
- I reopen Tor Connection, and it finds the bridge and builds circuits very quickly.