Investigate how Tails Installer behaves when target USB stick too small
tails@ received an email from a user (forwarded to tails-bugs@ with
Message-ID: <8735ou91op.fsf@manticora>) letting us know the following:
- The user had an SD card plugged in their computer.
- The user tried to install Tails to a USB stick that is too small for Tails. NB: The user didn't say how they were trying to install Tails, e.g., using Tails Installer? Etcher? (I'll assume Tails Installer.)
- Because the USB stick is too small, Tails Installer automatically switched the target to the user's SD card.
- Tails Installer overwrote the data on the user's SD card. NB: The user didn't say if they took an action (e.g., clicked a button) after learning that their USB stick is too small.
- The user isn't happy.
@help-desk will follow up with the user to confirm that the user was using Tails Installer.
If indeed the user was using Tails Installer, we should:
- Investigate how Tails Installer behaves when a USB stick is too small and another possible target is plugged in the computer.
- Investigate whether or not Tails provides enough info to the user so that the user can make an informed decision wrt. how they want to proceed.