Spinning internal hard drive worries users
Users report hearing their internal hard drive start occasionally, for example:
- when plugging in an external power source (laptop-mode-tools or similar?)
- when plugging a USB stick (udisks refreshing its knowledge of all drives?)
- while Tails is shutting down
- I believe default power management configuration spins down the disks faster on battery than on AC (where they might possibly never stop spinning).
- We don’t do anything special to avoid internal hard drives spinning.
- I’m not surprised that some normal operations of Tails trigger some read operations on the disks, which makes them spin up.
Related email discussion: “[Tails-dev] Please review & merge bugfix/less-aggressive-hard-disk-APM-on-AC” from March 2013.
- Related to #5918
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information