Clarify the status of Tails Installer for Jessie
Originally created by @intrigeri on #15533 (Redmine)
Our end-user doc says we support Tails Installer on Jessie but we’re shipping a very old version in jessie-backports (which won’t change as one cannot upload to jessie-backports a package that’s not in Stretch) and none in jessie-backports-sloppy. Our installation assistant was updated for Tails Installer 5.x already (#14677 (closed)) so currently, even if 4.4.6+dfsg-1~bpo8+1 still works, it does not match our doc.
I think we should either stop supporting Jessie that is:
- remove the package from jessie-backports
- update the installation assistant to require Stretch or newer
- update https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/tails-installer/ accordingly
… or make it so Jessie users can install Tails Installer 5.x (probably via jessie-backports-sloppy).
Almost a year after the Stretch release, I recommend the former approach.
Feature Branch: feature/15533-tails-installer-not-in-jessie
- Related to #14650 (closed)
- Related to #14677 (closed)
- Related to #12152 (closed)
- Blocks #14646 (closed)
- Blocks #15411 (closed)
- Blocks #15392 (closed)