Explain better the admin password when asking for it
Our users are confused by the administration password:
- Help desk is often asked about it
- It's the top #2 legit search in our internal search engine
Right, when starting Synaptic from Tails, users are shown this:
It's not explaining that:
- The password is what we call the administration password.
- The administration password is disabled by default.
- People can set up an administration password in the Welcome Screen.
How might we improve on this?
According to @alant in his comment below, that would require patching polkit.
Another approach might be to add our own wrapper around the most critical places where the user would be asked for the administration password:
- Root Terminal
Another important use case is opening internal disks in GNOME Disks. That sounds more tricky. How might we put something between GNOME Disks and polkit?
Or could we:
- Override the screen of polkit with our own to password prompt?
- Submit a patch upstream to customize the decription "Authentication is required to ..."?