Document workaround for Tails freezing with NVIDIA GTX 1080 when HTC Vive headset is connected to HDMI
Originally created by @intrigeri on #14697 (Redmine)
- Reference: #11831 (comment 54972)
- Problem: Tails freezes (not sure at which time exactly)
- Workaround: unplug that headset before starting Tails
- Affected hardware:
- at least NVIDIA GTX 1080, but most likely all Pascal GPUs
- at least HTC Vive headset, and perhaps more HDMI devices
More generally, various reports tell us that a number of problems with nouveau drivers for NVIDIA graphics can be workaround’ed by unplugging non-essential devices connected to the NVIDIA thing (e.g. 2nd display, sound outputs etc.) or by plugging displays on a different port.
It might be worth pointing to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/ (so users can identify their hardware) and https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/ (so that users can tell whether the issue they’re experiencing is Tails-specific or not).
- Related to #11831 (closed)
- Related to #14965 (closed)
- Blocks #14758 (closed)
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information