Be more careful when documenting the BIOS
The BIOS might be one of the most scary thing to get into in your computer if you’ve never seen it before. The current instructions on /install/inc/steps/not_at_all.inline/ could be adjusted to take this more into account. For example by:
- Taking into account that people might end up in the BIOS while trying out keys to get to the Boot Menu. If this occurs we should recommend them to restart and try other keys.
- Explaining first what both the BIOS and Boot Menu are and make it clear that we’re looking for the Boot Menu and not the BIOS as it’s much more complicated to deal with. Maybe adding screenshots for BIOS would help here.
- Making it clear that the BIOS is something complicated and that people with no experience might as well stop here and ask for external help. But that if they are ready to spend time fiddling with it they might make it and learn useful stuff though the interface is very clunky.
- Maybe moving the BIOS documentation a little bit more out of the way. Maybe in another toggle.
- Explaining better to write down any changes, for example saying:
If you do end up having to modify the BIOS, be sure to note down the original settings you change, so you can reset them afterwards if this is needed to boot normally.
- Mention the usual BIOS option to revert to factory defaults. Maybe:
Most BIOSes have an option to restore factory defaults too, in which case you may also then need to correct the date and time.
- Related to #10649 (closed)
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information