Assistant: Refine Windows scenario (sajolida's plate)
We have 40 things to change as a result from #10047 (closed), so no, we’re not going to track each one in a separate Redmine ticket with broken parenthood. This is sajolida’s plate. The numbers correspond to the lines in https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/attachments/download/917/windows-testing-issues.fods.
- 6. Rework “Due to” to sound less like an exception.
- 15+16+17. Don’t talk about Tails Installer in “Install temporary Tails”. Rather explain more the specifics of the temporary Tails, maybe as a warning or info.
- 18+19. Get rid of the tip about SD cards.
- 21. Test security warning on different Windows versions and find a more generic formulation.
- 23. Move the warning about data loss in intro.
- 23. Change download button as simple link.
- 24. Verify in UUI if there is an indication about formatting.
- 25-26. Update UUI screenshot.
- 25-26. Consider moving screenshot between step 6 and 7.
- 28. Warn that installation takes a couple of minutes.
- 29. Consider saying “warning” instead of "confirmation dialog in step 9.
- 30. Forgive people who don’t plug the key before start UUI. “Show all drives…”
- 33. Add a separate step for shutting down and switching context.
- 33. Create a new image of the infography for shutting down and switching context.
- 35. Add QR code.
- 37. Rephrase “Write down the URL” to take into account email, chat, etc. “Send”.
- 38. Mention other computer or tablet and not only smartphone.
- 40. Clarify in step 3 that it doesn’t work most of the time; people are lucky if it works.
- 41. Replace “usual operating system” by “Windows”.
- 43. Clarify that Tails will never replace Windows.
- 45. Move troubleshooting sections in collapsed.
- 47. “On most computer” → “On most computers”.
- 48. Rework the sequence in the intro “you need a key”, “boot menu”, “list”.
- 49. Rephrase “Consult the manual of the computer to know how to enter the BIOS settings” to take into account that people don’t have a manual, they will search it online.
- 50. Acknowledge after step 4 the fact that people might not be able to use Tails and that would imply the end of the instructions.
- 51. People should take note of the state of these options to put them back if Windows doesn’t boot in Legacy mode.
- 52. Split step 4 “Hold down” into two.
- 54. Clarify instructions on how to add boot options (“type”).
- 55. Rewrite “When removing this option”.
- 57. Do as for temporary Tails: rework intro, move warning in intro, and rewrite step 1 to start with “Plug”.
- 59. Warn that installation takes a couple of minutes.
- 60. Consider mentioning that the progress bar usually get stuck at 95%.
- 62. Improve first sentence of persistence to explain that each feature is optional.
- 63. Split warning #2 into two:
- 1. “Only enable the features you need”, and move it in step 4
- 2. “You can always start without persistence enabled”, as a tip in step 7.
- 64. Give tips about choosing a strong passphrase and link to https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/03/26/passphrases-can-memorize-attackers-cant-guess/
Feature Branch: web/10103-windows
Parent Task: #9203 (closed)
- Blocks #9444 (closed)