Commit 8681ef43 authored by intrigeri's avatar intrigeri
Browse files

Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into stable

parents aef5c073 06e1f3a6
[[!meta title="Tails June 2018 report"]]
[[!toc levels=2]]
This report covers the activity of Tails in June 2018.
Everything in this report is public.
# A. VeraCrypt support in GNOME
## A.3 Write automated tests
## A.6 Add VeraCrypt support to GNOME Files
We created merge requests and worked with upstream on our patches to add VeraCrypt support to the various GNOME components which are involved when unlocking volumes via GNOME Files ([glib](https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/merge_requests/120), [GVfs](https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/merge_requests/4), [GNOME Shell](https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/merge_requests/126)).
## A.7 Write user documentation
We wrote a first draft of the documentation and it was tested during the
user testing. We identified serious issues in the structure and
navigation of the documentation and fixed them.
## A.8 User testing & community feedback
We conducted a user testing of a development version of the VeraCrypt
feature.
We organized an in-person moderated user testing with five participants.
We recruited participants who are in the target audience for this
feature: people who had tried Tails a few times but who were not expert
users. None of them were used to VeraCrypt which made the tasks a bit
harder for them but didn't result being very problematic in itself.
The tests were less successful than that ones we did for the Additional
Software feature in May. All participants had to turn to the
documentation to fulfill the missions and, even after that, two
participants failed in some of the missions.
The average SUS score is of 50 which is considered below average
compared to other industry products and qualified as "OK".
The most critical issue was the lack of discoverability: how to get
started with unlocking a VeraCrypt volume in the first place. Due to a
lack of time on our side, the development version that we used for the
tests didn't include the [[*VeraCrypt Mounter*|blueprint/veracrypt#veracrypt_mounter]]
utility that we designed in December.
We are confident that, after adding *VeraCrypt Mounter* ([[!tails_ticket
15043]]) and fixing the navigation issues in the documentation
([[!tails_ticket 15670]]), the usability of this feature will be better
than average.
A more detailed report was sent to our UX mailing list:
<https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2018-June/003554.html>
The full results are available in on UX Git repo (OTS spreadsheet):
<https://git.tails.boum.org/ux/plain/veracrypt/user_testing_results.fods>
## A.9 Fix bugs and UX issues
We started fixing various bugs and UX issues we discovered during the user testing ([[!tails_ticket 15419]]). This includes the implementation of *VeraCrypt Mounter* ([[!tails_ticket 15043]]).
## A.10 Port to the latest version of GNOME
# B. Additional software
## B.2 Write technical design documentation
## B.3 Write automated tests
## B.8 Fix bugs and UX issues
......@@ -130,7 +130,7 @@ Ideate on how to support visually the description of what is Tails.
- Ideation on visual explanations of Tails.
Activities
Organizing
==========
Communication channels
......@@ -153,15 +153,28 @@ Communication channels
- [[Redmine bug tracker|contribute/working_together/Redmine]]
- [UX Git repository](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/ux)
Pre-summit
----------
Privacy
-------
In the past we haven't made public neither the dates, the venue, nor the
list of participants of the summit; though it's not a strong policy.
Let's try to stick to that unless it becomes a problem.
Roadmap
-------
- Next meeting: Tuesday July 17 16:30, Berlin time.
- Brainstorm on list of adjectives
- Other meetings:
- Review existing content
- Create templates and snippets from the current website
- Prepare material for the workshops (personas / use cases as posters)
- Brainstorm on tagline
- Brainstorm on explanation
- Discuss material we will need for the summit
Summit
------
Sessions
========
Regarding the time available at the summit, we usually do 3 hours of
meetings in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon.
......@@ -179,11 +192,46 @@ have more time than that. This is just a safe minimum.
- 3-hours plenary workshop on identity.
- 2-4 smaller workshops to be defined.
### Privacy
Possible sessions:
In the past we haven't made public neither the dates, the venue, nor the
list of participants of the summit; though it's not a strong policy.
Let's try to stick to that unless it becomes a problem.
| Session | Duration | Docs | People |
| -------------- | -------- | ------------ | ------------ |
| Brand identity | 3 h | Worksheet | Ame + Eileen |
| Language and tone | 1 h | | Eileen |
| Documentation/IA | 1 h | | Eileen |
| Metaphors and visuals | 1 h | | Eileen |
| Tagline and explanation | 1 h | | Ame + Eileen |
Brand identity (positioning/personality)
----------------------------------------
- 3-hours plenary with Ame on Day 1
- TODO: Decide if we do it in the morning or in the afternoon :sajolida:
- TODO: Send travel information to Ame :sajolida:
### Resources
Question: What is the open source version of this? What are the
appropriate adjectives/what is the scale?
- <https://www.canva.com/learn/brand-strategy/>
- <http://iqreport.develop.mediarain.com/chapter-two/brand-personality/#>
- <http://cfarman.com/blog/adjectives-for-describing-your-brand/>
### Adjectives
- scientific vs playful
- authoritative vs friendly
- secure, mindful
Structured explanation
----------------------
### Examples
- <https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-3/>
- <https://www.tunnelbear.com/>
Post-summit
-----------
......
......@@ -98,7 +98,7 @@ designate themselves beforehand.
| April 2018 | u | anonym |
| May 2018 | sajolida | segfault |
| June 2018 | intrigeri | u |
| July 2018 | | u |
| July 2018 | sajolida | u |
| August 2018 | | |
| September 2018 | | intrigeri |
| October 2018 | | |
......
......@@ -97,7 +97,7 @@ Template
Releases
========
* \[[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor] release).
* \[[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor|emergency] release).
* Tails VERSION+1 is \[[scheduled for MONTH DAY|contribute/calendar]].
......
[[!meta title="Tails report for June, 2018"]]
[[!meta date="Tue, 10 Apr 2018 01:23:45 +0000"]] XXX: adjust date
[[!meta date="Tue, 10 Jul 2018 01:23:45 +0000"]]
[[!toc]]
Releases
========
* [[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor] release).
* [[Tails 3.7.1 was released on June 10|news/version_3.10]] (emergency release).
* Tails VERSION+1 is [[scheduled for MONTH DAY|contribute/calendar]].
* [[Tails 3.8 was released on June 26|news/version_3.8]] (minor release).
The following changes were introduced in Tails VERSION:
* Tails 3.9 is [[scheduled for September 5|contribute/calendar]].
XXX: Copy the "Changes" section of the release notes, and compact a bit:
The following changes were introduced in Tails 3.7.1:
- Upgrade *Tor Browser* to 7.5.5.
This fixes a [[!mfsa2018 14 desc="critical issue in Firefox"]]
announced on June 6.
- Upgrade *Thunderbird* to 52.8.0.
This partly mitigates the infamous EFAIL attack and fixes importing
OpenPGP keys from keyservers with Enigmail.
- Fix setting a screen locker password with non-ASCII characters.
([[!tails_ticket 15636]])
- Rename the *WhisperBack* launcher to "WhisperBack Error Reporting"
so that users have a better chance to understand what it does.
([[!tails_ticket 6432]])
The following changes were introduced in Tails 3.8:
- Upgrade *Enigmail* from 1.9.9 to
[2.0.7](https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/download/changelog#enig2.0.7) which
fixes some of the [EFAIL](https://efail.de/) attacks on OpenPGP.
- Fix importing OpenPGP keys from email attachments. ([[!tails_ticket 15610]])
- Fix the translations of the homepage of the *Unsafe Browser*. ([[!tails_ticket 15461]])
* Remove lines about software upgrade (that's not Tails itself).
* Remove screenshots.
* Remove "New features" and "Upgrades and changes" headlines.
* Remove line about Changelog.
Code
====
......@@ -47,52 +70,26 @@ XXX: If you feel like it and developers don't do it themselves,
content being inserted in some page) that affects our website
([[!tails_ticket 6907]]).
Documentation and website
=========================
XXX: If you feel like it and technical writers don't do it
themselves, explore the Git history:
git log --patch --since='1 October' --until='1 November' origin/master -- "*.*m*"
User experience
===============
XXX: If you feel like it and the UX team does not do it
themselves, check the archives of tails-ux:
<https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/>
- We did some [moderated user testing of the VeraCrypt
feature](https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2018-June/003554.html).
Hot topics on our help desk
===========================
XXX: Ask tails-bugs@boum.org to list hot topics for the last month.
1. Surface Pro users reported having trouble with wireless ([[!tails_ticket 15520]])
1.
1. We still receive emails from several users displayed with the message
pointing to <https://tails.boum.org/gdm>.
1.
1.
Infrastructure
==============
XXX: Count the number of tests in /features at the beginning of next month
git checkout `git rev-list -n 1 --before="June 1" origin/devel`
git grep --extended-regexp '^\s*Scenario:' -- features/*.feature | wc -l
XXX: Report only if more scenarios have been written and add the diff from the previous month, for example:
- Our test suite covers SCENARIOS scenarios, DIFF more that in May.
Funding
=======
XXX: The fundraising team should look at the fundraising Git.
git log --patch --since='1 December' --until='1 January' origin/master
XXX: The fundraising and accounting teams should look at the archives of <tails-fundraising@boum.org> and <tails-accounting@boum.org>.
XXX
Outreach
========
......@@ -102,37 +99,50 @@ Past events
Upcoming events
---------------
- BitingBird, intrigeri, nodens, and u will be at DebConf18 in Hsinchu,
Taiwan from July 29 to August 5.
XXX: FrOSCon
On-going discussions
====================
XXX: Link to the thread on <https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-XXX/>.
Press and testimonials
======================
- intrigeri called for testing of an [updated graphics stack and
`nouveau` driver](https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-testers/2018-June/001018.html).
XXX: Copy content from press/media_appearances_2018.mdwn
This page is continuously updated by tails-press@boum.org, so if
it's empty there might be nothing special to report.
Translation
===========
XXX: Add the output of `contribute/l10n_tricks/language_statistics.sh`
XXX: Add the output of (adjust month!):
## All the website
- fr: 89% (5169) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy, 88% words translated
- es: 58% (3356) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy, 48% words translated
- de: 53% (3099) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy, 47% words translated
- fa: 36% (2096) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy, 38% words translated
- it: 32% (1881) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy, 28% words translated
- pt: 28% (1618) strings translated, 7% strings fuzzy, 24% words translated
Total original words: 60692
## [[Core pages of the website|contribute/l10n_tricks/core_po_files.txt]]
- fr: 98% (1900) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy, 99% words translated
- es: 96% (1862) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy, 94% words translated
- de: 79% (1528) strings translated, 11% strings fuzzy, 79% words translated
- it: 67% (1295) strings translated, 15% strings fuzzy, 66% words translated
- pt: 45% (879) strings translated, 12% strings fuzzy, 49% words translated
- fa: 33% (640) strings translated, 11% strings fuzzy, 33% words translated
Total original words: 17447
git checkout $(git rev-list -n 1 --before="September 1" origin/master) && \
git submodule update --init && \
./wiki/src/contribute/l10n_tricks/language_statistics.sh
Metrics
=======
* Tails has been started more than BOOTS/MONTH times this month. This makes BOOTS/DAY boots a day on average.
* SIGS downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO from our website.
* WHISPERBACK bug reports were received through WhisperBack.
* Tails has been started more than 666&#8239;921 times this month. This makes 22&#8239;231 boots a day on average.
* 8&#8239;830 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO from our website.
* 65 bug reports were received through WhisperBack.
[[How do we know this?|support/faq#boot_statistics]]
XXX: Ask <tails@boum.org> for these numbers.
......@@ -370,7 +370,7 @@ developed by SecondMuse):
- **Background**
- Cris is Mexican refugee based in the United States.
- Cris is a Mexican refugee based in the United States.
- Cris is an investigative journalist doing high stake reporting on
the government, the mafia, and drug related trafficking and
corruption.
......@@ -471,7 +471,7 @@ developed by SecondMuse):
- Riou wants to lead social change in their country without being put
themselves under the spotlight.
- Riou wants information to be free in their country: they want to
speak freely and they want other to have access to uncensored
speak freely and they want others to have access to uncensored
information.
- **Challenges and threats**
......@@ -601,21 +601,3 @@ developed by SecondMuse):
- **Security precautions**
-->
Next steps
==========
1. Create tickets for the following steps [[!tails_ticket 14525]]
1. Check back yellow post-it notes
1. Refine good enough draft skeletons
- Link to actual stories or research if we have it
1. Ask for comments on tails-project@boum.org
1. Ask the project to prioritize the 4 skeletons according to different dimensions
1. Write 1st version of foundation document:
- Find images (photos or drawings) for the personas
- Consider using 2 images per persona so that we have a
genderneutral persona
- Reference data
1. Prepare summary for developers:
- Two A4 pages per persona?
- Have a detailed version and a condensed version?
......@@ -498,6 +498,8 @@ This iteration covers:
- The modification of existing volumes, which will be very similar to
the creation of new volumes.
<a id="veracrypt_mounter"></a>
4. *VeraCrypt Mounter* ([[!tails_ticket 15043]])
----------------------
......@@ -510,6 +512,8 @@ If we cannot create *VeraCrypt Mounter* in time, we will replace it with
a link to our documentation which should lead to similar success rates
but a bit less comfort for first time users.
<img src="https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1842/veracrypt-mounter.png">
Non goals
---------
......@@ -535,11 +539,6 @@ User interface
<img src="https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1843/gvfs-monitor-unlock-veracrypt-volume.png">
### *VeraCrypt Mounter* (optional)
<img src="https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1842/veracrypt-mounter.png">
<a id="detection"></a>
Detecting VeraCrypt volumes
......
......@@ -6,20 +6,14 @@ All times are referenced to Berlin and Paris time.
* 2018-07-01: Beta release of VeraCrypt
* 2018-07-02, 15:00: VeraCrypt meeting
* 2018-07-03, 19:00: [[Contributors meeting|contribute/meetings]]
* 2018-07-04, 14:00: Translation platform meeting
* 2018-07-05, 14:00: Additional Software team meeting
* 2018-07-21 to 2018-07-23: work on porting Tails to Tor
Browser based on Firefox 60ESR ([[!tails_ticket 15023]]) — anonym
* 2018-08-01 to 2018-08-09: port Tails to Tor Browser based on Firefox
60ESR ([[!tails_ticket 15023]]) — anonym
- 2018-08-08 and 2018-08-09: intrigeri reviews and merges
* 2018-08-08 to 2018-08-09: port Tails to Tor Browser based on Firefox
60ESR ([[!tails_ticket 15023]]) — intrigeri and segfault
* 2018-08-06, 19:00: [[Contributors meeting|contribute/meetings]]
......
......@@ -24,17 +24,21 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
- Windows camouflage
- *emmapeel: kim would have liked windows camouflage*
- Institutionalized
- *u: "that has been institutionalized" -> do you mean s/he has been in psychiatry ?*
- *emmapeel: i think in this context institutionalized could also be
on an orphanage*
- Bitcoin
- *emmapeel: to have his own savings outside of the institution*
- *emmapeel: its on my private idaho*
- *emmapeel: specially if kim is underage, they are not going to let
him handle his savings*
- Alison
- Ask Alison from Tor about the story she told emmapeel and sajolida.
- Feeling normal
- *masha: I dislike the "Kim wants to feel normal", I'd rather put
"feel safe"*
......@@ -45,12 +49,14 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
closed doors.*
- *masha: maybe the point is that "normal" leaves way too much room
for interpretation*
- Homeless
- *emmapeel: i just want to say that a very high percentage of
homeless youth in the world is queer. they get kicked out from home
for being queer*
- *emmapeel: but the gay kids go on the streets and they get
institutionalized*
- Computer room
- *u: i think the Kim persona sounds very stressful (limited time,
mentor surveillance...). and surveilled at home can be much less
......@@ -63,6 +69,7 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
- *u: that could be an option (trusted friend's computer)*
- *emmapeel: if kim has no computer, and uses a computer of a friend,
is good to have tails...*
- Too many threats
- *u: Kim's case has two angles: the surveillance at home by mentors
and peers, and the sharia in nigeria as well as internet censorship*
......@@ -82,14 +89,17 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
things as well*
- *sajolida: so remove their societal and State oppression and stick to
the domestic oppression*
- Religious family
- *sajolida: Kim could be gay in a super religious US family for
example*
- *u: fine with me, yes, gay/trans in a religious family in any
fanatic religious family.*
- Transsexual
- *spriver: (how about transsexual, that'd be me)*
- *emmapeel: yeah if you are trans you also have to get out*
- Resources
- <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Own_Private_Idaho>
- <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Nigeria>
......@@ -97,3 +107,5 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
- <http://the-ipf.com/2016/06/09/homosexuality-nigeria-young-lgbt/>
- <http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Durso-Gates-LGBT-Homeless-Youth-Survey-July-2012.pdf>
- *spriver: I can share a bit of my story though*
- *groente: u: ah, a friend of mine is working on lgbt rights in
uganda iirc, i can ask her for contacts*
......@@ -76,4 +76,60 @@ outside of Tails".
Chapter 2: [[Cris, the sensitive information gatherer|personas#cris]]
XXX: sajolida will add notes here.
- Public opinion
- *u: I would formulate this sentence differently: "Turn public opinion against these people."
maybe "inform the public about the wrongdoings of these people"*
- *u: well, i just realize the previous sentence is a bit similar*
- *u: maybe "make it possible to legally accuse these people / put
them in front of a court" ?*
- Pseudonym
- *intrigeri: something is not clear to me: Cris is a journalist who
publishes under a pseudonym, right? I have no clue how common
practice it is. Have you?*
- *sajolida: i agree with you. maybe Cris is working under their
realname and hiding what they are working on only until it's
published.*
- *intrigeri: indeed, that would relate to many more real-life cases
I'm aware of but I don't know the press world well.*
- Refugee
- *u: as cris is a mexican refugee i'm unsure how they can enter
mexico*
- *sajolida: i used "refugee" but i think that Cris might just be too
scared to live in Mexico (bad stuff happens there to journalists)
but not legally prohibited to enter Mexico*
- *intrigeri: s/is Mexican refugee/is a Mexican refugee/*
- *u: ok, then maybe we shoudl use another word than refugee?
emigrant/immigrant?*
- *sajolida: ok for replacing "refugee" (we'll find a better word
elsewhere)*
- Hide information about myself
- *drebs: why is "hide information about myself" different from "hide
my identity"?*
- *u: i think hiding your identity is basically only about your name
while information about yourself can be many other things like where
you live, where you currently are etc.*
- *sajolida: under "hide information about myself" we also put
location for example*
- Too extreme
- *intrigeri: my "raw subjectivity" comment: it's an important persona
and one of the things we know at least some people use for. It's an
extreme/minority one though. Thankfully the other personas balance
things so the draft set of personas does not err to far on the
"Tails for 2000 people" side :)*
- *intrigeri: (because there's so many life/death threats on the same
person & relationships)*
- *sajolida: but Cris could also be anybody carrying sensitive
information across borders for example*
- *u: but cris need not be a journalist, they can be a human rights
advocate, diplomat, doctor*
- *u: i don't think this persona is extreme, but it's maybe more
rare.*
- Resources
- <https://www.forensic-architecture.org/case/ayotzinapa/>
- Gaby Weber is a German journalist and has researched quite a bit on
nazi past in Argentina, involving Mercedes Benz. She uses Tails.
[[!meta title="July 2018 online meeting"]]
[[!toc levels=2]]
# Meta
- Attendees: emmapeel, gaff, groente, nodens, sajolida, spriver, u.
- [[Logs|201807/logs.txt]]
# Volunteers to handle "Hole in the roof" tickets this month
- Gaff will look into [[!tails_ticket 8447 desc="#8447: Persistent data is not erased when persistence features are disabled"]].
# Volunteers to handle important tickets flagged for next release, but without assignee
None
# Availability and plans
- u: available for Tails during the next month, will attend DebConf,
so plenty of time for nerdy tasks.
- spriver: not thaaaat much Tails related work. Still trying to get
back into it, but let's see
- emmapeel:
- Availability: this weekend i'll attend tdb.camp and then i will
hang out for two weeks in amsterdam until i go to montenegro to