Commit 8068233e authored by cbrownstein's avatar cbrownstein

Merge branch 'devel' of https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails into doc/14476-veracrypt

parents 28318137 df85233d
......@@ -130,7 +130,7 @@ Ideate on how to support visually the description of what is Tails.
- Ideation on visual explanations of Tails.
Activities
Organizing
==========
Communication channels
......@@ -153,15 +153,28 @@ Communication channels
- [[Redmine bug tracker|contribute/working_together/Redmine]]
- [UX Git repository](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/ux)
Pre-summit
----------
Privacy
-------
In the past we haven't made public neither the dates, the venue, nor the
list of participants of the summit; though it's not a strong policy.
Let's try to stick to that unless it becomes a problem.
Roadmap
-------
- Next meeting: Tuesday July 17 16:30, Berlin time.
- Brainstorm on list of adjectives
- Other meetings:
- Review existing content
- Create templates and snippets from the current website
- Prepare material for the workshops (personas / use cases as posters)
- Brainstorm on tagline
- Brainstorm on explanation
- Discuss material we will need for the summit
Summit
------
Sessions
========
Regarding the time available at the summit, we usually do 3 hours of
meetings in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon.
......@@ -179,11 +192,46 @@ have more time than that. This is just a safe minimum.
- 3-hours plenary workshop on identity.
- 2-4 smaller workshops to be defined.
### Privacy
Possible sessions:
In the past we haven't made public neither the dates, the venue, nor the
list of participants of the summit; though it's not a strong policy.
Let's try to stick to that unless it becomes a problem.
| Session | Duration | Docs | People |
| -------------- | -------- | ------------ | ------------ |
| Brand identity | 3 h | Worksheet | Ame + Eileen |
| Language and tone | 1 h | | Eileen |
| Documentation/IA | 1 h | | Eileen |
| Metaphors and visuals | 1 h | | Eileen |
| Tagline and explanation | 1 h | | Ame + Eileen |
Brand identity (positioning/personality)
----------------------------------------
- 3-hours plenary with Ame on Day 1
- TODO: Decide if we do it in the morning or in the afternoon :sajolida:
- TODO: Send travel information to Ame :sajolida:
### Resources
Question: What is the open source version of this? What are the
appropriate adjectives/what is the scale?
- <https://www.canva.com/learn/brand-strategy/>
- <http://iqreport.develop.mediarain.com/chapter-two/brand-personality/#>
- <http://cfarman.com/blog/adjectives-for-describing-your-brand/>
### Adjectives
- scientific vs playful
- authoritative vs friendly
- secure, mindful
Structured explanation
----------------------
### Examples
- <https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-3/>
- <https://www.tunnelbear.com/>
Post-summit
-----------
......
......@@ -98,7 +98,7 @@ designate themselves beforehand.
| April 2018 | u | anonym |
| May 2018 | sajolida | segfault |
| June 2018 | intrigeri | u |
| July 2018 | | u |
| July 2018 | sajolida | u |
| August 2018 | | |
| September 2018 | | intrigeri |
| October 2018 | | |
......
......@@ -97,7 +97,7 @@ Template
Releases
========
* \[[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor] release).
* \[[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor|emergency] release).
* Tails VERSION+1 is \[[scheduled for MONTH DAY|contribute/calendar]].
......
[[!meta title="Tails report for June, 2018"]]
[[!meta date="Tue, 10 Apr 2018 01:23:45 +0000"]] XXX: adjust date
[[!toc]]
Releases
========
* [[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor] release).
* Tails VERSION+1 is [[scheduled for MONTH DAY|contribute/calendar]].
The following changes were introduced in Tails VERSION:
XXX: Copy the "Changes" section of the release notes, and compact a bit:
* Remove lines about software upgrade (that's not Tails itself).
* Remove screenshots.
* Remove "New features" and "Upgrades and changes" headlines.
* Remove line about Changelog.
Code
====
XXX: If you feel like it and developers don't do it themselves,
list important code work that is not covered already by the
Release section (for example, the changes being worked on for
the next version).
- We have worked on improving support for recent graphics cards and in
particular those produced by NVIDIA. We've sent
a [call for testing](https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-testers/2018-June/001018.html)
and
[updated](https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-testers/2018-June/001029.html)
it. If the feedback is good, we will probably include these changes
in Tails 3.9.
- We have kept working on fixing the EFAIL attacks against
encrypted email ([[!tails_ticket 15602]]). Tails 3.8 fixed most of
them and Tails 3.9 should fix the remaining ones.
- We have worked on detecting earlier changes that would break
automatic upgrades ([[!tails_ticket 15419]])… and already identified
one we need to fix in time for Tails 3.9 ([[!tails_ticket 15695]]).
- Chris Lamb prepared a fix for the most infamous rendering issue (raw PO
content being inserted in some page) that affects our website
([[!tails_ticket 6907]]).
Documentation and website
=========================
XXX: If you feel like it and technical writers don't do it
themselves, explore the Git history:
git log --patch --since='1 October' --until='1 November' origin/master -- "*.*m*"
User experience
===============
XXX: If you feel like it and the UX team does not do it
themselves, check the archives of tails-ux:
<https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/>
Hot topics on our help desk
===========================
XXX: Ask tails-bugs@boum.org to list hot topics for the last month.
1.
1.
1.
Infrastructure
==============
XXX: Count the number of tests in /features at the beginning of next month
git checkout `git rev-list -n 1 --before="June 1" origin/devel`
git grep --extended-regexp '^\s*Scenario:' -- features/*.feature | wc -l
XXX: Report only if more scenarios have been written and add the diff from the previous month, for example:
- Our test suite covers SCENARIOS scenarios, DIFF more that in May.
Funding
=======
XXX: The fundraising team should look at the fundraising Git.
git log --patch --since='1 December' --until='1 January' origin/master
XXX: The fundraising and accounting teams should look at the archives of <tails-fundraising@boum.org> and <tails-accounting@boum.org>.
Outreach
========
Past events
-----------
Upcoming events
---------------
XXX: FrOSCon
On-going discussions
====================
XXX: Link to the thread on <https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-XXX/>.
Press and testimonials
======================
XXX: Copy content from press/media_appearances_2018.mdwn
This page is continuously updated by tails-press@boum.org, so if
it's empty there might be nothing special to report.
Translation
===========
XXX: Add the output of `contribute/l10n_tricks/language_statistics.sh`
XXX: Add the output of (adjust month!):
git checkout $(git rev-list -n 1 --before="September 1" origin/master) && \
git submodule update --init && \
./wiki/src/contribute/l10n_tricks/language_statistics.sh
Metrics
=======
* Tails has been started more than BOOTS/MONTH times this month. This makes BOOTS/DAY boots a day on average.
* SIGS downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO from our website.
* WHISPERBACK bug reports were received through WhisperBack.
[[How do we know this?|support/faq#boot_statistics]]
XXX: Ask <tails@boum.org> for these numbers.
......@@ -370,7 +370,7 @@ developed by SecondMuse):
- **Background**
- Cris is Mexican refugee based in the United States.
- Cris is a Mexican refugee based in the United States.
- Cris is an investigative journalist doing high stake reporting on
the government, the mafia, and drug related trafficking and
corruption.
......@@ -471,7 +471,7 @@ developed by SecondMuse):
- Riou wants to lead social change in their country without being put
themselves under the spotlight.
- Riou wants information to be free in their country: they want to
speak freely and they want other to have access to uncensored
speak freely and they want others to have access to uncensored
information.
- **Challenges and threats**
......@@ -601,21 +601,3 @@ developed by SecondMuse):
- **Security precautions**
-->
Next steps
==========
1. Create tickets for the following steps [[!tails_ticket 14525]]
1. Check back yellow post-it notes
1. Refine good enough draft skeletons
- Link to actual stories or research if we have it
1. Ask for comments on tails-project@boum.org
1. Ask the project to prioritize the 4 skeletons according to different dimensions
1. Write 1st version of foundation document:
- Find images (photos or drawings) for the personas
- Consider using 2 images per persona so that we have a
genderneutral persona
- Reference data
1. Prepare summary for developers:
- Two A4 pages per persona?
- Have a detailed version and a condensed version?
......@@ -498,6 +498,8 @@ This iteration covers:
- The modification of existing volumes, which will be very similar to
the creation of new volumes.
<a id="veracrypt_mounter"></a>
4. *VeraCrypt Mounter* ([[!tails_ticket 15043]])
----------------------
......@@ -510,6 +512,8 @@ If we cannot create *VeraCrypt Mounter* in time, we will replace it with
a link to our documentation which should lead to similar success rates
but a bit less comfort for first time users.
<img src="https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1842/veracrypt-mounter.png">
Non goals
---------
......@@ -535,11 +539,6 @@ User interface
<img src="https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1843/gvfs-monitor-unlock-veracrypt-volume.png">
### *VeraCrypt Mounter* (optional)
<img src="https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1842/veracrypt-mounter.png">
<a id="detection"></a>
Detecting VeraCrypt volumes
......
......@@ -6,20 +6,14 @@ All times are referenced to Berlin and Paris time.
* 2018-07-01: Beta release of VeraCrypt
* 2018-07-02, 15:00: VeraCrypt meeting
* 2018-07-03, 19:00: [[Contributors meeting|contribute/meetings]]
* 2018-07-04, 14:00: Translation platform meeting
* 2018-07-05, 14:00: Additional Software team meeting
* 2018-07-21 to 2018-07-23: work on porting Tails to Tor
Browser based on Firefox 60ESR ([[!tails_ticket 15023]]) — anonym
* 2018-08-01 to 2018-08-09: port Tails to Tor Browser based on Firefox
60ESR ([[!tails_ticket 15023]]) — anonym
- 2018-08-08 and 2018-08-09: intrigeri reviews and merges
* 2018-08-08 to 2018-08-09: port Tails to Tor Browser based on Firefox
60ESR ([[!tails_ticket 15023]]) — intrigeri and segfault
* 2018-08-06, 19:00: [[Contributors meeting|contribute/meetings]]
......
......@@ -24,17 +24,21 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
- Windows camouflage
- *emmapeel: kim would have liked windows camouflage*
- Institutionalized
- *u: "that has been institutionalized" -> do you mean s/he has been in psychiatry ?*
- *emmapeel: i think in this context institutionalized could also be
on an orphanage*
- Bitcoin
- *emmapeel: to have his own savings outside of the institution*
- *emmapeel: its on my private idaho*
- *emmapeel: specially if kim is underage, they are not going to let
him handle his savings*
- Alison
- Ask Alison from Tor about the story she told emmapeel and sajolida.
- Feeling normal
- *masha: I dislike the "Kim wants to feel normal", I'd rather put
"feel safe"*
......@@ -45,12 +49,14 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
closed doors.*
- *masha: maybe the point is that "normal" leaves way too much room
for interpretation*
- Homeless
- *emmapeel: i just want to say that a very high percentage of
homeless youth in the world is queer. they get kicked out from home
for being queer*
- *emmapeel: but the gay kids go on the streets and they get
institutionalized*
- Computer room
- *u: i think the Kim persona sounds very stressful (limited time,
mentor surveillance...). and surveilled at home can be much less
......@@ -63,6 +69,7 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
- *u: that could be an option (trusted friend's computer)*
- *emmapeel: if kim has no computer, and uses a computer of a friend,
is good to have tails...*
- Too many threats
- *u: Kim's case has two angles: the surveillance at home by mentors
and peers, and the sharia in nigeria as well as internet censorship*
......@@ -82,14 +89,17 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
things as well*
- *sajolida: so remove their societal and State oppression and stick to
the domestic oppression*
- Religious family
- *sajolida: Kim could be gay in a super religious US family for
example*
- *u: fine with me, yes, gay/trans in a religious family in any
fanatic religious family.*
- Transsexual
- *spriver: (how about transsexual, that'd be me)*
- *emmapeel: yeah if you are trans you also have to get out*
- Resources
- <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Own_Private_Idaho>
- <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Nigeria>
......@@ -97,3 +107,5 @@ Chapter 1: [[Kim, the surveilled at home|blueprint/personas#kim]]
- <http://the-ipf.com/2016/06/09/homosexuality-nigeria-young-lgbt/>
- <http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Durso-Gates-LGBT-Homeless-Youth-Survey-July-2012.pdf>
- *spriver: I can share a bit of my story though*
- *groente: u: ah, a friend of mine is working on lgbt rights in
uganda iirc, i can ask her for contacts*
......@@ -76,4 +76,60 @@ outside of Tails".
Chapter 2: [[Cris, the sensitive information gatherer|personas#cris]]
XXX: sajolida will add notes here.
- Public opinion
- *u: I would formulate this sentence differently: "Turn public opinion against these people."
maybe "inform the public about the wrongdoings of these people"*
- *u: well, i just realize the previous sentence is a bit similar*
- *u: maybe "make it possible to legally accuse these people / put
them in front of a court" ?*
- Pseudonym
- *intrigeri: something is not clear to me: Cris is a journalist who
publishes under a pseudonym, right? I have no clue how common
practice it is. Have you?*
- *sajolida: i agree with you. maybe Cris is working under their
realname and hiding what they are working on only until it's
published.*
- *intrigeri: indeed, that would relate to many more real-life cases
I'm aware of but I don't know the press world well.*
- Refugee
- *u: as cris is a mexican refugee i'm unsure how they can enter
mexico*
- *sajolida: i used "refugee" but i think that Cris might just be too
scared to live in Mexico (bad stuff happens there to journalists)
but not legally prohibited to enter Mexico*
- *intrigeri: s/is Mexican refugee/is a Mexican refugee/*
- *u: ok, then maybe we shoudl use another word than refugee?
emigrant/immigrant?*
- *sajolida: ok for replacing "refugee" (we'll find a better word
elsewhere)*
- Hide information about myself
- *drebs: why is "hide information about myself" different from "hide
my identity"?*
- *u: i think hiding your identity is basically only about your name
while information about yourself can be many other things like where
you live, where you currently are etc.*
- *sajolida: under "hide information about myself" we also put
location for example*
- Too extreme
- *intrigeri: my "raw subjectivity" comment: it's an important persona
and one of the things we know at least some people use for. It's an
extreme/minority one though. Thankfully the other personas balance
things so the draft set of personas does not err to far on the
"Tails for 2000 people" side :)*
- *intrigeri: (because there's so many life/death threats on the same
person & relationships)*
- *sajolida: but Cris could also be anybody carrying sensitive
information across borders for example*
- *u: but cris need not be a journalist, they can be a human rights
advocate, diplomat, doctor*
- *u: i don't think this persona is extreme, but it's maybe more
rare.*
- Resources
- <https://www.forensic-architecture.org/case/ayotzinapa/>
- Gaby Weber is a German journalist and has researched quite a bit on
nazi past in Argentina, involving Mercedes Benz. She uses Tails.
[[!meta title="July 2018 online meeting"]]
[[!toc levels=2]]
# Meta
- Attendees: emmapeel, gaff, groente, nodens, sajolida, spriver, u.
- [[Logs|201807/logs.txt]]
# Volunteers to handle "Hole in the roof" tickets this month
- Gaff will look into [[!tails_ticket 8447 desc="#8447: Persistent data is not erased when persistence features are disabled"]].
# Volunteers to handle important tickets flagged for next release, but without assignee
None
# Availability and plans
- u: available for Tails during the next month, will attend DebConf,
so plenty of time for nerdy tasks.
- spriver: not thaaaat much Tails related work. Still trying to get
back into it, but let's see
- emmapeel:
- Availability: this weekend i'll attend tdb.camp and then i will
hang out for two weeks in amsterdam until i go to montenegro to
meet with tactical tech people about journalists apps
- Plans: I will be finishig the additional software docs and the
other stuff on redmine while in amsterdam, then i will be doing
helpdesk.
- nodens:
- Availibility: very low until I arrive at debcamp on the 24th
- Plans: I'll continue to handle emergencies / support tickets for
OpenPGP Applet but nothing else I think
- sajolida:
- Availability: "Full" except July 11-15
- Plans: Finish VeraCrypt and Additional Software, continue the
work with Simply Secure and planning the summit, move forward the
personas, hopefully do some work on the donations.
- groente: will see emmapeel at tbd and will be busy with weblate and
daily sysadmin shifts in the next weeks, apart from that i'm pretty
full
# Gather comments on our draft personas
Chapter 3: [[Riou, the protest organizer|personas#riou]]
- Servers and censorship
- *u: In order to publish this information they use websites which are
not in the country, so that the government cannot shut them down. →
we should write "not hosted on servers within the country"*
- *u: Although they take photos and videos of the protests and try to
publish this information on websites which are censored within the
country. → this sentence is a bit unclear*
- Country & context
- *groente: i find it hard to comment because i know close to nothing
about the local context there*
- *groente: i would argue for choosing another country where we do
actually know the local context and can make a realistic persona*
- *groente: idk, sofar it reads rather emea-minded (Europe &
Middle-East)*
- *sajolida: maybe i should have a look at a list of hard-core
censorship countries or ask OONI for countries/contextes and maybe
even contacts*
- *groente: would turkey be a good alternative?*
- *sajolida: Iran would be another easy choice*
- *u: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Iranian_protests
or this*
- Umbrella movement
- *sajolida: by the way, is the Umbrella movement still a thing?
should we made it more movement-agnostic?*
- *u: no it's not a thing anymore*
- Streaming
- *u: They got to get it online as soon as it's produced on sociadia
and they also want to stream the protest and speeches. → They got
to get it online and on social media as soon as it's produced. They
also want to stream the protest and speeches.*
- *emmapeel: this picture taking and streaming sounds a bit
temerarious i think....*
- *nodens: "They also want to stream the protest and speeches" ->
isn't "stream" a bit misleading ? I doubt they'd try to do it live
(if they want to do that, that would probably be both difficult and
risky)*
- *u: maybe "record" and later publish would be better*
- *nodens: (the "record then publish" doesn't change the goal)*
- Device during the protest
- *emmapeel: yes yes i see riou could do with a little hideout with
good connection, where the protestors will go ad give their memory
cards.*
- *sajolida: it's unclear to me with what device their take pictures
and record, since they also leave their phones at home: are they
using dedicates phone? other people's phone? offline cameras?*
- *u: yeah maybe we need to say that they actually do use their phones
or that they use a video camera*
- *nodens: I would say any of those three, I don't think this has any
influence on the challenges - or rather, the challenges seem
irrelevant in tails context*
- *emmapeel: maybe riou wants to have some hidden camera o their
clothing*
- Work before and after the protest
- *sajolida: so their work with Tails could only occur before or after
the protests, right?*
- *u: yes, or in some press center*
- *sajolida: so maybe we should get into more details regarding the
preparation and follow up of the protest, and leave aside the
technical details of their opsec during the protest, no?*
- *u: sajolida: like at G20 people had such a press center → but this
event would be too controversial to make into a persona*
- *emmapeel: riou eeds backups too, for the team to share the
different pictures like a mediagoblin or something*
- *emmapeel: if the organizers communicate stealthily, maybe they can
share the pictures with onionshare*
- *emmapeel: maybe they have one of those canon cameras with hacked
firmware and can encrypt the pictures when they are taken, just i
case they get caught*
- Help other with censorship
- *nodens: maybe another goal: "I want people to be able to easily
access censored information" ? Or is that not part of the persona ?*
- *sajolida: i think that Riou might be the kind of person has also
helps other access censored information*
- *nodens: the phrasing would probably need to be refined but the idea
is that it is probably important for Kim that people in her/his
county can read the infromation*
- *sajolida: at least they are trying to spread censored information
within their country*
- *sajolida: so maybe Riou gives out Tails sticks during the
protest!!*
- *nodens: yeah or advertises about Tails at least*
- *nodens: or organises workshops during the protest :D*
- *sajolida: or gives out outreach material or translate Tails into
their language, etc.*
- *nodens: (but that would be probably dangerous too. You don't want
to bring a laptop to this protest I guess)*
- *groente: maybe riou runs a clandestine private bridge and wants to
share this with fellow protesters?*
- *nodens: also, printed material (user manual for instance)*
- *nodens: Oh I got a new one - "I want to know which websites are
censored in country" (a job for ONII Probe)*