Commit 71b872b6 authored by anonym's avatar anonym
Browse files

Add notes and logs for the 201802 contributors meeting.

parent e81bf5e5
[[!meta title="February 2018 online meeting"]]
[[!toc levels=2]]
# Meta
- Attendees: anonym, drebs, emmapeel, geb, intrigeri, jvoisin, nodens,
sajolida, segfault, spriver
- Actively lurking: ?
- [[Logs|201802/log.txt]]
# Volunteers to handle "Hole in the roof" tickets this month
* intrigeri did enough roof work recently to take some time off.
* anonym will at least try to determine if [[!tails_ticket 5447]] is
an issue for (non-VirtualBox) users. If not => reject.
* emmapeel has been working on [[!tails_ticket 10022]].
* We have a grand plan ([[!tails_ticket 15292]]) that will solve
[[!tails_ticket 12146]] if it gets funded.
# Volunteers to handle important tickets flagged for next release, but without assignee
There were none!
# Availability and plans until the next meeting
* spriver: (maybe) a bit of doc/translation stuff, but I'm starting
slowly now and let's see how it'll go. I'll be online most of the
days.
* emmapeel: i am on frontdesk shift and i also plan to work on the
translation platform with drebs and next month also with groente and
u.
* anonym: availability: I'm dedicated to the sprint and recovering
from it for the next week, after that I'm available "office hours"
(CET).
plans: I am deliberately chilling with my plans, but I intend to
kill my current Redmine plate. In particular my intent is to review
#12226 (Tails Server) for segfault.
* intrigeri: plans: accounting sprint, budget forecasting, grant
writing, negotiate new milestones arrangement with a sponsor
(VeraCrypt), trying to do the other parts of my core work. and on
top of that, try to enable Spanish on our website if time allows.
availability: don't try to add things (that I'm not already
committed to) to my plate. of course, foundations team & other core
work is already on my plate.
* segfault: I will work on the VeraCrypt in GNOME project, the review
of the additional software packages project, and probably the new
USB image project and OnionKit aka Tails Server.
* nodens: availability and plans: availability low, will continue
working on migrating openpgp-applet to salsa (but the final part
will have to wait for *.pages.debian.net to have a proper
certificate, so probably not before the end of the month anyway).
* drebs: i will help emmapeel with some translation work this month,
not actually sure how much but i am reserving a couple or more hours
a week for this.
# Important missing bits in the next monthly report
All non-trivial comments actually should go into the _next_ monthly
report (jvoisin will [do a presentation of Tails on March
10](https://www.federez.net/journees/2018/); anonym will write
something about [[!tails_ticket 15281]]). :)
# [[!tails_ticket 15275 desc="Remove the GNOME Keyring persistent feature"]]
We decided to implement this ticket, i.e. we will remove this
persistent feature and adjust the user documentation accordingly.
Rationale: the original reason for this feature being added was that
GNOME's NetworkManager applet used it for storing its secrets (with
the NetworkManager persistent feature storing all other data). But
this is not required any more, and we failed to find any other common
use case depending on this persistent feature, rendering this
persistent feature useless and nothing but a contributor of noise.
There was some brief discussion about whether we could remove
`gnome-keyring` entirely, but the reverse dependencies makes this very
costly, so given the small benefits we decided not to put any effort
into this.
(07:00:03 PM) intrigeri: meeting tiiiime!
(07:00:09 PM) sajolida: meeting tiiime!
(07:00:20 PM) sajolida: ok, so i'm the facilitator tonight (thanks!)
(07:00:24 PM) anonym: hi!
(07:00:27 PM) anonym: I take notes!
(07:00:28 PM) anonym: go!
(07:00:29 PM) segfault: hi
(07:00:30 PM) sajolida: first topic is....
(07:00:34 PM) sajolida: Volunteers to handle "Hole in the roof (https://labs.riseup.net/code/versions/198)" tickets this month
(07:00:39 PM) sajolida: yeah! my favorite one
(07:00:49 PM) sajolida: everybody please have a look at the list of tickets
(07:00:59 PM) sajolida: and tell us if you think you can help move some of these forward
(07:01:22 PM) intrigeri: I did enough Hole in the Roof recently and I'm too busy this month to commit to a new one.
(07:01:34 PM) emmapeel: i have been working on #10022
(07:01:35 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #10022: Have experts review our revocation mechanism of Tails signing key https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10022
(07:01:38 PM) segfault: i'm very busy with other projects, so no hole in the roof tickets for me
(07:02:03 PM) sajolida: we now have a plan for #12146 with https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/usb_install_and_upgrade/usb_bootable_disk_image/
(07:02:04 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Bug #12146: Tails installed using dd is not seen as a bootable device on MacBook Pro https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/12146
(07:02:11 PM) spriver: I was reading the paper from #5340 a bit again lately. but no warranty to be finished in the near future
(07:02:11 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #5340: Analyze Jake FOCI12 paper - Tails - RiseupLabs Code Repository https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5340
(07:02:17 PM) emmapeel: some reviews reached tails@ and i was waiting for some answers to wrap #10022 up
(07:02:18 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #10022: Have experts review our revocation mechanism of Tails signing key https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10022
(07:02:32 PM) sajolida: emmapeel: i know! i want to have a look!
(07:02:52 PM) anonym: I'll look at #5447 if frontdesk can tell me if it is an issue still
(07:02:53 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Bug #5447: Fix DVD eject at shutdown https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5447
(07:03:16 PM) emmapeel: DVD? what is a DVD?
(07:03:25 PM) anonym: yeah...
(07:03:34 PM) emmapeel: i never saw this ticket
(07:03:35 PM) sajolida: ancien stuff people put in their gardens to keep birds away...
(07:03:44 PM) intrigeri: emmapeel: it's a thing that about 10% of bug reporters use to start Tails :)
(07:03:46 PM) emmapeel: users of DVD tend to be really paranoid and like the emergency shutdown
(07:04:13 PM) emmapeel: there are some DVD users, i was joking. but i never heard of the eject button not working
(07:04:33 PM) anonym: emmapeel: ok. I feel like we should reject it right now then
(07:04:41 PM) emmapeel: ok i see that maybe *nce* i did saw a user
(07:04:47 PM) segfault: ok, so I do take a hole in the roof ticket - #12146 (thanks intrigeri :)
(07:04:48 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Bug #12146: Tails installed using dd is not seen as a bootable device on MacBook Pro https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/12146
(07:04:50 PM) emmapeel: (bottom of the ticket)
(07:04:57 PM) intrigeri: segfault: my pleasure :P
(07:05:30 PM) intrigeri: ack rejecting
(07:05:57 PM) sajolida: this seems to happen only on *some* computers, so actually, input from help desk would be helpful... because the issue might as well have disappeared
(07:06:18 PM) sajolida: anything more on Hole in the Roof? anybody needs more time?
(07:06:21 PM) emmapeel: yeahi have not seen this.. i didnt even remembered i saw it back then when i wrote the comment
(07:06:57 PM) anonym: I deal with it
(07:07:00 PM) emmapeel: but lately i am quite sure nobody complained about #5447
(07:07:01 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Bug #5447: Fix DVD eject at shutdown (on some computers) https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5447
(07:07:09 PM) anonym: let's leave #5447 now!
(07:07:47 PM) sajolida: ok, let's move on then!
(07:07:56 PM) sajolida: next topic is.... "Volunteers to handle important tickets flagged for next release, but without assignee"
(07:08:37 PM) sajolida: i see no relevant ticket in https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f%5B%5D=cf_15&op%5Bcf_15%5D=%3D&v%5Bcf_15%5D%5B%5D=Discuss&f%5B%5D=status_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=o&f%5B%5D=cf_9&op%5Bcf_9%5D=%21&v%5Bcf_9%5D%5B%5D=Pass&f%5B%5D=assigned_to_id&op%5Bassigned_to_id%5D=%21*&f%5B%5D=&c%5B%5D=status&c%5B%5D=priority&c%5B%5D=fixed_version&c%5B%5D=subject&c%5B%5D=category&c%5B%5D=cf_15&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=cf_9&group_by=&t%5B%5D=
(07:09:01 PM) sajolida: shit, buggy query!
(07:09:05 PM) sajolida: wait...
(07:09:26 PM) sajolida: https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f%5B%5D=fixed_version_id&op%5Bfixed_version_id%5D=%3D&v%5Bfixed_version_id%5D%5B%5D=307&f%5B%5D=status_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=o&f%5B%5D=assigned_to_id&op%5Bassigned_to_id%5D=%21*&f%5B%5D=cf_9&op%5Bcf_9%5D=%21&v%5Bcf_9%5D%5B%5D=Pass&f%5B%5D=&c%5B%5D=priority&c%5B%5D=subject&c%5B%5D=category&c%5B%5D=cf_15&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=cf_9&group_by=status&t%5B%5D=
(07:09:27 PM) sajolida: ah!
(07:09:31 PM) sajolida: No data to display
(07:09:54 PM) sajolida: if someone confirms this, then we can move on to the next topic...
(07:10:06 PM) sajolida: which is... "Availability and plans until the next meeting"
(07:10:07 PM) emmapeel: hmm i see three tickets
(07:10:16 PM) sajolida: emmapeel: the second query :)
(07:10:33 PM) sajolida: please everybody tell us about your plans and availability in February
(07:10:35 PM) intrigeri: sajolida: confirmed.
(07:11:23 PM) spriver: (maybe) a bit of doc/translation stuff, but I'm starting slowly now and let's see how it'll go. I'll be online most of the days
(07:11:48 PM) emmapeel: i am on frontdesk shift and i also plan to work on the translation platform with drebs and next month also with groente and u
(07:11:54 PM) anonym: availability: I'm dedicated to the sprint and recovering from it for the next week, after that I'm available "office hours" (CET)
plans: I am deliberately chilling with my plans, but I intend to kill my current Redmine plate
(07:12:03 PM) intrigeri: plans: accounting sprint, budget forecasting, grant writing, negotiate new milestones arrangement with a sponsor (VeraCrypt), trying to do the other parts of my core work. and on top of that, try to enable Spanish on our website if time allows.
(07:12:30 PM) emmapeel: yay!!!
(07:12:36 PM) ***emmapeel does a happy dance
(07:12:36 PM) sajolida: checking https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?per_page=200&query_id=200 could help :)
(07:12:58 PM) intrigeri: availability: don't try to add things (that I'm not already committed to) to my plate. of course, foundations team & other core work is already on my plate.
(07:13:15 PM) emmapeel: sajolida: i get You are not authorized to access this page.
(07:13:31 PM) geb: emmapeel, sajolida: same for me FWIW
(07:13:36 PM) segfault: I will work on the VeraCrypt in GNOME project, the review of the additional software packages project, and probably the new USB image project and OnionKit aka Tails Server
(07:14:24 PM) anonym: segfault: you might notice that my current Redmine plate includes #12226
(07:14:25 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #12226: Initial review of Tails Server implementation https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/12226
(07:14:31 PM) drebs: i will help emmapeel with some translation work this month, not actually sure how much but i am reserving a couple or more hours a week for this
(07:14:40 PM) segfault: anonym: uh nice :)
(07:14:50 PM) sajolida: buggy query, sorry! → https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?query_id=128
(07:14:57 PM) anonym: segfault: this time for real, I swear^W promise^W will do my best!
(07:15:10 PM) segfault: anonym: :D
(07:15:41 PM) sajolida: everbody told us about their plans, i think...
(07:15:52 PM) nodens entered the room.
(07:15:55 PM) sajolida: so let's move on to the next topic!!! → "Important missing bits in the next monthly report (https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/monthly_report/)."
(07:15:59 PM) nodens: hi there
(07:16:15 PM) sajolida: the blueprint: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/monthly_report/report_2018_01/
(07:16:15 PM) nodens: sorry pidgin wasn't willing to connect for some reason
(07:16:49 PM) intrigeri: I'll add my bits to the report tomorrow.
(07:17:41 PM) emmapeel: i added the bits for frontdesk the other day and the translation stats but apparently those were not good :S
(07:17:44 PM) nodens: availability and plans: availability low, will continue working on migrating openpgp-applet to salsa (but the final part will have to wait for *.pages.debian.net to have a proper certificate, so probably not before the end of the month anyway)
(07:18:07 PM) anonym: I could perhaps write something for the report regarding #15281
(07:18:07 PM) jvoisin: ho, my talk in March
(07:18:07 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #15281: Stack one single SquashFS diff when upgrading https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15281
(07:18:13 PM) jvoisin: at a school in Paris
(07:18:37 PM) sajolida: jvoisin: add it or tell me more about it now!
(07:18:38 PM) intrigeri: anonym: add it to the February report, then :)
(07:18:45 PM) segfault: i don't think i have anything to add to the report
(07:18:45 PM) geb: i'll also add some outreach event tomorrow (and mail tails-project@)
(07:18:48 PM) nodens: I have nothing to put in the report except that I'm moving openpgp-applet to salsa, and I'd rather wait for it to be done before putting it in the report
(07:18:50 PM) anonym: intrigeri: true!
(07:19:29 PM) jvoisin: sajolida: https://www.federez.net/journees/2018/ here
(07:19:30 PM) jvoisin: (iirc)
(07:19:34 PM) emmapeel: segfault: what about tails server?
(07:19:34 PM) jvoisin: About Tails
(07:19:56 PM) segfault: emmapeel: i want to wait until there is a beta release or something people can look at
(07:20:40 PM) sajolida: jvoisin: i don't see "Tails" or "voisin" in the programme?
(07:20:58 PM) emmapeel: i see
(07:20:59 PM) jvoisin: not yet
(07:21:03 PM) jvoisin: maybe we should wait then
(07:21:32 PM) sajolida: it is "jvoisin will give a talk about Tails at Journées FedeRez"?
(07:21:52 PM) sajolida: on March ???
(07:22:01 PM) sajolida: if you know the day already that might be enough
(07:22:08 PM) sajolida: otherwise we should move on to the next topic!
(07:22:17 PM) jvoisin: between 9 and 11
(07:22:18 PM) jvoisin: meh
(07:22:22 PM) jvoisin: lets wait until further info
(07:22:26 PM) sajolida: which is... prepared discussion
(07:22:28 PM) sajolida: jvoisin: ok!
(07:22:29 PM) jvoisin: (I don't know much more about it tbh :D )
(07:22:43 PM) sajolida: we have one prepared discussion in the list, about #15275
(07:22:44 PM) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Bug #15275: Remove the GNOME Keyring persistent feature https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15275
(07:23:00 PM) sajolida: please everybody take 2 minutes to read the full ticket because starting the discussion...
(07:23:29 PM) nodens: jvoisin, sajolida, if I read correctly the agenda it will be on the saturday (since the rest as no conference)
(07:23:40 PM) sajolida: nodens: ok!
(07:24:09 PM) anonym: cool! IIRC the only reason we added it was for the password part of persistent NM connections, so let's kill it then
(07:24:20 PM) spriver: I say remove GNOME Keyring from Tails. If there's no apparent reason for having it, let's drop it then
(07:24:38 PM) geb: same, tend to agree
(07:24:40 PM) anonym: so, does anyone know what it actually is used for?
(07:24:42 PM) intrigeri: I think removing the software entirely implies much more work.
(07:25:14 PM) emmapeel: is that the only thing it does?
(07:25:20 PM) anonym: note that the ticket is about the *persistent feature*, not the application
(07:25:36 PM) spriver: anonym: ack
(07:25:37 PM) anonym: emmapeel: that's what I'd like to know, what applications are integrated in it?
(07:25:40 PM) intrigeri: It's the backend for various apps that want to store secrets. Probably a dependency of something we install.
(07:25:56 PM) emmapeel: for example what abut ssh-agent? or thunderbird?
(07:26:19 PM) emmapeel: how can i test this? some service stop command?
(07:26:29 PM) nodens: I removed my passphrase from gnome-keyring and I still have a working agent - it just asks me for a passphrase when it never did
(07:26:32 PM) sajolida: The following packages will be REMOVED:
evolution-data-server gdm3 gnome-keyring gnome-session gnome-shell gnome-shell-extension-top-icons-plus gnome-shell-extensions
gnome-shell-pomodoro openpgp-applet seahorse tails-greeter
(07:26:35 PM) anonym:
Reverse Depends:
seahorse
liferea
libgnome-keyring0
libgnome-keyring0
evolution-data-server
network-manager-gnome
gnome-session
gvfs-backends
(07:26:54 PM) sajolida: so we can't remove the software like that
(07:26:58 PM) emmapeel: POMODORO!!! estas loco!
(07:27:01 PM) nodens: (also I can now effectively remove the keys from the agent)
(07:27:04 PM) intrigeri: I think trying to remove GNOME Keyring is costly (now + in the future) for very small cost.
(07:27:08 PM) sajolida: but we still have an agreement on removing the persistent feature
(07:27:12 PM) intrigeri: yes!
(07:27:16 PM) sajolida: yeah, so let's move on!
(07:27:16 PM) anonym: yes!
(07:27:20 PM) nodens: yes :)
(07:27:22 PM) intrigeri: s/small cost/small benefit/
(07:27:39 PM) geb: just a remark/question: it is not used for printer passwords ?
(07:27:43 PM) sajolida: there are no more prepared discussions on the list
(07:27:54 PM) sajolida: if someone has prepared one but didn't put it in the list, speak now
(07:27:58 PM) sajolida: otherwise the meeting is over
(07:28:22 PM) sajolida: 1
(07:28:27 PM) sajolida: 2
(07:28:29 PM) sajolida: 3
(07:28:30 PM) spriver: nothing from my side
(07:28:30 PM) anonym: 5
(07:28:30 PM) nodens: mhmm I wanted to discuss stuff about openpgp-applet on salsa
(07:28:36 PM) nodens: but failed to prepare
(07:28:36 PM) sajolida: ah!
(07:28:39 PM) nodens: so it can wait
(07:28:46 PM) intrigeri: 0x2A
(07:28:49 PM) sajolida: ok :)
(07:28:56 PM) sajolida: so let's stop here
(07:29:00 PM) anonym: prepared discussions only!
(07:29:02 PM) spriver: oui
(07:29:05 PM) intrigeri: genau
(07:29:08 PM) sajolida: thank you very much everybody for attending, it's good to see so many people around!
(07:29:26 PM) intrigeri: thx, bye
(07:29:26 PM) spriver: bon voyage!
(07:29:27 PM) anonym: yay! I'll prepare the notes later tonight!
(07:29:31 PM) nodens: it it was half as short as usual... amazing :)
(07:29:35 PM) intrigeri left the room (Stream reset by peer).
(07:29:42 PM) geb: bye folks :)
(07:29:54 PM) jvoisin: :)
(07:30:37 PM) nodens: bye everyone, thanks for the meeting :)
Markdown is supported
0% or .
You are about to add 0 people to the discussion. Proceed with caution.
Finish editing this message first!
Please register or to comment