title: Revamp the Greeter UI
Ticket: #5464 (tails#5464 (closed))
- Current proposal
However, the greeter UI is difficult to use, and adding more options in the current state of things would only make things worse usability-wise.
So, we have to improve the greeter UI to make it more ergonomic and easier to use.
After working on a prototype and doing UX testing with NUMA http://en.numa.paris/, we arrived at the idea of having two main Tails-greeter flows:
- a quick setup for veteran users
- a guided setup for new users
The result of this can be found in the NUMA flow.
We refined this on the tails-ux mailing list to arrive at a concrete proposal for the first screen: design rationale phase1.
The wizard is less defined. See the bottom of NUMA flow.
Phase 1: "Welcome" and "Advanced" screens
tails#8230 (closed): basic "Welcome" and "Advanced" screensPhase 1.0
This means including a redesigned greeter that has the same functionnalities than the current one. It would be included in Tails 3.0, so the plan is to work on that during Tails/Stretch work.
- Implement the chosen proposal in a dedicated branch of the greeter repo tails#10828 (closed)
- Update documentation
- Send software and documentation for translation on tails-l10n
tails#11643 (closed): add options to "Welcome" and "Advanced" screensPhase 1.1
This phase consists of improvement of the 1st phase. It would be added in 3.X releases.
tails#8231 (closed): implement a "Take a tour" wizardPhase 2
This phase as about adding a wizard to guide newcomers. It has no timing yet.
- design the wizard
UI / UX documentation
- thread starting at https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2012-March/000972.html
- https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/ and expecially the greeter mockups