Commit cd670c0f authored by intrigeri's avatar intrigeri
Browse files

Merge branch 'stable' into devel

parents 910eca72 86deb560
http://torbrowser-archive.tails.boum.org/7.5.4-build1/
http://torbrowser-archive.tails.boum.org/7.5.5-build1/
66f9bea2a37a8980131e7bf549883d01bd5ef3cef705c233e4177b76a2eedf25 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_ar.tar.xz
b46c9e507d3b287c76f2ef99665a3e402ab1e6d3ce1433cf0e7b6ff9ddad656f tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_de.tar.xz
098e18b59a0477aef3fe34b82efc804fb14c8af3a114427fe4a2f979d816b8b4 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_en-US.tar.xz
bc7ab5ec4d7e890cde92ef6d9565f9c5171d02e7159f6a42951b0a4909c286c9 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_es-ES.tar.xz
2952a00add25c5adc1845fb2625973b6b3866dd1719fbc994aae19ae63c4089c tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_fa.tar.xz
da0001f3b2dce01bb5bf68ba3da5bcc72fb1b20d1c3eacd0ba6c3e6852eeccf8 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_fr.tar.xz
895c7e1f1b5abe7f72862bcf8860349a11e34efc300d69a077b88a0a7fdaa9db tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_it.tar.xz
0b01a30e7a5dbd8b883a35bf0c391b224a9ded2aaa3f8915e6e010a80adab60a tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_ja.tar.xz
7022ae680ea20f8804dbf8a0fc9db66a68d2af138057f889f73476537d258310 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_ko.tar.xz
25cada5c8100c1398cba5434973b9858fae7c24693b4ccff8dc5369e7a863b06 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_nl.tar.xz
b08e1cce2a61ec7b9f2cbbab54f0e5c25fa4c06091b12241fa43ed6fa7be992d tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_pl.tar.xz
db1b1d0c9e84cd791ff4008a47f4e50aafed04ceab485539d4ca79f2c0318c0e tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_pt-BR.tar.xz
a33096142245f3f13e296b442770e5f64cc89cc99973143c60ef94e72a317c71 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_ru.tar.xz
8208f51f215c667de81961fa7014a7b54beee92262c150fb09140528e54d55af tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_tr.tar.xz
4d2419305f51b4672750fe0af04c709185d990794e72a4e80f26c43b9371eace tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_vi.tar.xz
a5a7f2802cae0ccaf60b800a71aecdc35444cc31988c55af625d6c122e2f91d2 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.4_zh-CN.tar.xz
66771519b2f0df03e7984a9b458d1b4803ea5253248152bd05804ca328e9c508 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_ar.tar.xz
751df645e62260f9b722cf0d4f7b76e3a328f239adf0796a541cd9a1b78deb35 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_de.tar.xz
d0d1076e691780b855df96c6908625b56f9c438a5e8e55b115955f875def156d tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_en-US.tar.xz
33ecfb750ce2864edbad2317c0ab53163a9865d88235f94821525bb38b93097b tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_es-ES.tar.xz
5714c43b8746de273c54e641630f35b78dc7c760efb5785a146699bb5d2d9345 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_fa.tar.xz
d8fa4e1c1477986cec7a8e972065d40599f1aa3919eb6b2b1da1c2cfc8291e00 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_fr.tar.xz
cac99194ba0d7cfdb7f2a8f5537ca86697d81d37338f5a500a8b84c4787dedb0 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_it.tar.xz
0cf5a10db8d1590ed493b3cd24f4fb42e2490b66fa4ac4bc6e7b1d90d0ff4dcd tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_ja.tar.xz
2b1a5d8ec3476fe90d2c536d9081f3e8b6d76ddfd90c0cf5a235c25b491b450c tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_ko.tar.xz
cba9c1be882bb15f0b648d011563383edb56d3b00869728e13fb9e22ff0d7f74 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_nl.tar.xz
63d38ef72c002565136823916a56511342d6634c8a21cb78e0de5e1d6e585889 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_pl.tar.xz
7b9c23e87ef77b7f66b8274daa5f2e2b52040267af63126e917f0e0778aadcca tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_pt-BR.tar.xz
02e09e18469be285ead6273bf7b154250506a5cf66c34bbce515e1d3b22e7758 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_ru.tar.xz
c907bbd583807a2b98435d2e4410bf611fce006f84d7c9632381d0ccd8a8f1cb tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_tr.tar.xz
a98f0b46deb2181cb668641dcf4deb2a5de3204810130ce972a375c58b75a891 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_vi.tar.xz
73696fc7ddb8905e7d9bd303e549fdc360db066ca50f85a5859e10bb74670a33 tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_zh-CN.tar.xz
......@@ -2,7 +2,47 @@ tails (3.9) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium
* Dummy entry for next release.
-- Tails developers <tails@boum.org> Thu, 10 May 2018 13:37:23 +0200
-- Tails developers <tails@boum.org> Sat, 09 Jun 2018 15:22:28 +0000
tails (3.7.1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium
* Security fixes
- XXX: Upgrade Tor Browser to 7.5.5 (MFSA 2018-14; closes: #15643).
- Upgrade Thunderbird to 52.8.0 (DSA-4209-1; Closes: #15607).
- Partially fixes EFAIL.
- Fixes importing OpenPGP keys from keyservers with Enigmail.
- Accordingly refresh our Thunderbird AppArmor profile patch.
- Upgrade cURL to 7.52.1-5+deb9u6 (DSA-4202-1).
- Upgrade GnuPG (modern) 2.1.18-8~deb9u2 (DSA-4222-1).
- Upgrade GnuPG (legacy) to 1.4.21-4+deb9u1 (DSA-4223-1).
- Upgrade Git to 1:2.11.0-3+deb9u3 (DSA-4212-1).
- Upgrade PackageKit to 1.1.5-2+deb9u1 (DSA-4207-1).
- Upgrade procps to 2:3.3.12-3+deb9u1 (DSA-4208-1).
- Upgrade wavpack to 5.0.0-2+deb9u2 (DSA-4197-1).
- Upgrade wget to 1.18-5+deb9u2 (DSA-4195-1).
- Upgrade xdg-utils to 1.1.1-1+deb9u1 (DSA-4211-1).
* Bugfixes
- Fix setting a screen locker password with non-ASCII characters
(Closes: #15636).
- WhisperBack:
- Rename the WhisperBack launcher to "WhisperBack Error Reporting"
so that users have a better chance to understand what it does
(Closes: #6432)
- Ensure debugging info in Whisperback reports don't contain email
signature markers so that email clients forward it in full
(Closes: #15468).
- Wrap text written by the user to 70 chars (Closes: #11689).
* Minor improvements
- The "Tails documentation" desktop launcher now opens /doc instead of
the aging /getting_started that confused people during user testing
(Closes: #15575).
* Test suite
- Update to match "Tails documentation" behaviour change.
-- Tails developers <tails@boum.org> Sat, 09 Jun 2018 15:22:28 +0000
tails (3.7) unstable; urgency=medium
......
......@@ -21,8 +21,8 @@ msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: The Tor Project\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2018-03-12 19:03+0100\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2018-04-12 19:07+0000\n"
"Last-Translator: IDRASSI Mounir <mounir.idrassi@idrix.fr>\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2018-06-08 09:07+0000\n"
"Last-Translator: Bo Elkjaer <eboe@dr.dk>\n"
"Language-Team: Danish (http://www.transifex.com/otf/torproject/language/"
"da/)\n"
"Language: da\n"
......
......@@ -9,17 +9,18 @@
# trantor <clucko3@gmail.com>, 2014
# DoKnGH26" 21 <dokngh2621@gmail.com>, 2015
# D P, 2015
# Ettore Atalan <atalanttore@googlemail.com>, 2014-2017
# Ettore Atalan <atalanttore@googlemail.com>, 2014-2018
# gerhard <listmember@rinnberger.de>, 2013
# Konstantin BB, 2015
# Larson März <larson@protonmail.ch>, 2013
# Mario Baier <mario.baier26@gmx.de>, 2013
# Mart3000, 2015
# malexmave <inactive+malexmave@transifex.com>, 2014
# max weber, 2015,2017
# max weber, 2015,2017-2018
# Sandra R <drahtseilakt@live.com>, 2014
# Sebastian <sebix+transifex@sebix.at>, 2015
# spriver <spriver@autistici.org>, 2015
# spriver, 2018
# spriver, 2015
# sycamoreone <sycamoreone@riseup.net>, 2014
# Tobias Bannert <tobannert@gmail.com>, 2014,2016
# try once, 2015
......@@ -29,8 +30,8 @@ msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: The Tor Project\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2018-03-12 19:03+0100\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2017-12-30 14:40+0000\n"
"Last-Translator: Ettore Atalan <atalanttore@googlemail.com>\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2018-05-15 12:21+0000\n"
"Last-Translator: spriver\n"
"Language-Team: German (http://www.transifex.com/otf/torproject/language/"
"de/)\n"
"Language: de\n"
......@@ -71,19 +72,19 @@ msgstr ""
"wie unbedingt notwendig!</strong></p>\n"
"<h2>Über die Angabe von Email-Adressen</h2>\n"
"<p>\n"
"Die Angabe einer Email-Adresse erlaubt uns, Sie zu kontaktieren um das "
"Die Angabe einer Email-Adresse erlaubt uns, Sie zu kontaktieren, um das "
"Problem\n"
"zu klären. Dies ist notwendig für die große Mehrheit der erhaltenen "
"Berichte, da die\n"
"zu klären. Dies ist für die große Mehrheit der erhaltenen Berichte "
"notwendig, da die\n"
"meisten Berichte ohne Kontaktinformationen nutzlos sind. Andererseits ist "
"dies eine\n"
"Einladung für böswillige Dritte, wie Ihr Email- oder Internetprovider, um "
"Einladung für böswillige Dritte, wie Ihren Email- oder Internetprovider, um "
"herauszufinden,\n"
"dass Sie Tails nutzen.</p>\n"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/electrum:57
msgid "Persistence is disabled for Electrum"
msgstr "Beständiges Speichern ist für Electrum deaktiviert."
msgstr "Beständiges Speicherbereich ist für Electrum deaktiviert."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/electrum:59
msgid ""
......@@ -92,8 +93,8 @@ msgid ""
"persistence feature is activated."
msgstr ""
"Wenn Sie Tails neu starten, werden alle Daten von Electrum gelöscht, "
"inklusive Ihrer Bitcoin-Geldbörse. Wir empfehlen eindringlich, Electrum mit "
"aktiviertem beständigen Speicherbereich zu nutzen."
"inklusive Ihrer Bitcoin-Geldbörse. Wir empfehlen eindringlich, Electrum "
"ausschließlich mit aktiviertem beständigen Speicherbereich zu nutzen."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/electrum:60
msgid "Do you want to start Electrum anyway?"
......@@ -115,7 +116,7 @@ msgstr "Neustart"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/status-menu-helper@tails.boum.org/extension.js:78
msgid "Lock screen"
msgstr ""
msgstr "Sperrbildschirm"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/status-menu-helper@tails.boum.org/extension.js:81
msgid "Power Off"
......@@ -149,51 +150,45 @@ msgid "not available"
msgstr "nicht verfügbar"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:170
#, fuzzy
msgid "Your additional software installation failed"
msgstr "Ihre zusätzlichen Anwendungen"
msgstr "Die Installation zusätzlicher Anwendungen ist fehlgeschlagen"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:171
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
"The installation failed. Please check your additional software "
"configuration, or read the system log to understand better the problem."
msgstr ""
"Die Aktualisierung ist fehlgeschlagen. Dies könnte an einem Netzwerkproblem "
"liegen. Bitte überprüfen Sie ihre Netzwerkverbindung, starten Sie Tails neu "
"oder lesen Sie die Systemprotokolldateien um das Problem besser zu verstehen."
"Die Installation ist fehlgeschlagen. Bitte überprüfen Sie Ihre Konfiguration "
"für zusätzliche Software oder lesen Sie die Logdateien des Systems, um das "
"Problem besser zu verstehen."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:177
#, fuzzy
msgid "Your additional software are installed"
msgstr "Ihre zusätzlichen Anwendungen"
msgstr "Ihre zusätzliche Software wurde installiert"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:178
#, fuzzy
msgid "Your additional software are ready to use."
msgstr "Ihre zusätzlichen Anwendungen"
msgstr "Die zusätzlichen Anwendungen sind bereit zu Nutzung."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:194
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:204
#, fuzzy
msgid "Your additional software upgrade failed"
msgstr "Ihre zusätzlichen Anwendungen"
msgstr "Die Aktualisierung zusätzlicher Anwendungen ist fehlgeschlagen"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:195
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
"The check for upgrades failed. This might be due to a network problem. "
"Please check your network connection, try to restart Tails, or read the "
"system log to understand better the problem."
msgstr ""
"Die Aktualisierung ist fehlgeschlagen. Dies könnte an einem Netzwerkproblem "
"liegen. Bitte überprüfen Sie ihre Netzwerkverbindung, starten Sie Tails neu "
"oder lesen Sie die Systemprotokolldateien um das Problem besser zu verstehen."
"Das Überprüfen nach Aktualisierungen ist fehlgeschlagen. Dies könnte ein "
"Netzwerkproblem zur Ursache haben. Bitte überprüfen Sie Ihre "
"Netzwerkverbindung, versuchen Sie Tails neuzustarten oder lesen Sie die "
"Logdateien des Systems, um das Problem besser zu verstehen."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:201
#, fuzzy
msgid "Your additional software are up to date"
msgstr "Ihre zusätzlichen Anwendungen"
msgstr "Die zusätzlichen Anwendungen sind auf dem aktuellsten Stand"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software:202
msgid "The upgrade was successful."
......@@ -269,7 +264,7 @@ msgstr ""
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-screen-locker:109
msgid "Lock Screen"
msgstr ""
msgstr "Sperrbildschirm"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-screen-locker:118
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tor-browser:46
......@@ -278,22 +273,21 @@ msgstr "Abbrechen"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-screen-locker:124
msgid "Screen Locker"
msgstr ""
msgstr "Bildschirmsperre"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-screen-locker:130
msgid "Set up a password to unlock the screen."
msgstr ""
msgstr "Stellen Sie ein Passwort zum Sperren des Bildschirms ein"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-screen-locker:135
msgid "Password"
msgstr ""
msgstr "Passwort"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-screen-locker:141
msgid "Confirm"
msgstr ""
msgstr "Bestätigen"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-upgrade-frontend-wrapper:35
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
"\"<b>Not enough memory available to check for upgrades.</b>\n"
"\n"
......@@ -305,19 +299,17 @@ msgid ""
"Or do a manual upgrade.\n"
"See https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade#manual\""
msgstr ""
"<b>Nicht genügend Speicher vorhanden um nach Aktualisierungen zu suchen.</"
"b>\n"
"\"<b>Nicht ausreichend freier Arbeitsspeicher, um nach Aktualisierungen zu "
"prüfen.</b>\n"
"\n"
"Stellen Sie bitte sicher, dass dieses System den Minimalanforderungen für "
"Tails entspricht.\n"
"Siehe: file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/about/requirements.en.html\n"
"Stellen Sie sicher, dass das System den Voraussetzungen für ein laufendes "
"Tails-System entspricht.\n"
"See file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/about/requirements.en.html\n"
"\n"
"Versuchen Sie Tails neu zu starten, um erneut nach Aktualisierungen zu "
"suchen.\n"
"Try to restart Tails to check for upgrades again.\n"
"\n"
"Oder führen Sie eine manuelle Aktualisierung durch.\n"
"Beachten Sie bitte dazu: https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/"
"upgrade#manual"
"Oder führen Sie eine manuelle Aktualisierung.\n"
"See https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade#manual\""
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-upgrade-frontend-wrapper:72
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/unsafe-browser:27
......@@ -353,8 +345,8 @@ msgid ""
"software."
msgstr ""
"Sowohl das Wirts-Betriebssystem als auch die Virtualisierungs-Anwendung "
"können überwachen, was Sie in Tails machen. Nur Freie Software kann sowohl "
"für das Wirts-Betriebssystem als auch für die Virtualisierungs-Anwendung als "
"können überwachen, was Sie in Tails tun. Nur Freie Software kann sowohl für "
"das Wirts-Betriebssystem als auch für die Virtualisierungs-Anwendung als "
"vertrauenswürdig gelten."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/lib/tails-virt-notify-user:83
......@@ -383,8 +375,8 @@ msgid ""
"use the Unsafe Browser if necessary, for example\\nif you have to login or "
"register to activate your Internet connection."
msgstr ""
"Die Netzwerkaktivität im unsicheren Browser ist <b>nicht anonym</b>. "
"Benutzen Sie den unsicheren Browser nur wenn nötig, z.B. wenn Sie sich "
"Die Netzwerkaktivität im unsicheren Browser ist <b>nicht anonym</b>."
"\\nBenutzen Sie den unsicheren Browser nur wenn nötig, z.B. wenn Sie sich "
"einloggen oder registrieren müssen, um Ihre Internetverbindung zu aktivieren."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/unsafe-browser:51
......@@ -397,7 +389,7 @@ msgstr "Dies könnte eine Weile dauern, bitte haben Sie etwas Geduld."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/unsafe-browser:57
msgid "Shutting down the Unsafe Browser..."
msgstr "Unsicherer Browser wird beendet …"
msgstr "Unsicherer Browser wird beendet…"
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/unsafe-browser:58
msgid ""
......@@ -430,7 +422,7 @@ msgstr "Konnte chroot nicht einrichten."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/unsafe-browser:105
msgid "Failed to configure browser."
msgstr "Konfiguration des Browses fehlgeschlagen."
msgstr "Konfiguration des Browsers fehlgeschlagen."
#: config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/unsafe-browser:111
msgid ""
......@@ -485,10 +477,3 @@ msgstr "Tails-spezifische Werkzeuge"
msgid "To start a Root Terminal, you need to authenticate."
msgstr ""
"Sie müssen sich authentifizieren, um ein Root-Terminal starten zu können."
#~ msgid ""
#~ "NetworkManager passed us garbage data when trying to deduce the clearnet "
#~ "DNS server."
#~ msgstr ""
#~ "Beim Versuch den Klarnetz-DNS-Server herauszufinden, hat NetworkManager "
#~ "keine sinnvollen Daten geliefert."
......@@ -8,15 +8,33 @@ Everything in this report is public.
# A. VeraCrypt support in GNOME
## A.5 Add VeraCrypt support to GNOME Disks
Our merge request has been [merged](https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-disk-utility/issues/84#note_222551) upstream so this deliverable is now completed.
## A.10 Port to the latest version of GNOME
We backported our glib, GTK+, GVfs, and GNOME Shell patches to the version we use in Tails and created Debian packages to use them in Tails ([#15521](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15521#note-4)).
# B. Additional software
## A.8 User testing & community feedback
## B.6 User documentation
We wrote a first draft of the documentation and it was tested during the
user testing.
## B.7 Beta release, user testing & community feedback
We [[published a beta version of the Additional Software feature and asked
users to test it|news/test_asp-beta]]. Bugs and remarks from users have
been collected on our bug tracker in order to improve them
[[!tails_ticket 15567]].
We completed the user testing of the beta version of this feature.
We also conducted and completed a user testing of the beta version.
We organized an in-person moderated user testing with 5 participants. We
recruited participants who are in the target audience for this feature: people
who had tried Tails a few times but who were not expert users.
To this end, we organized an in-person moderated user testing with 5
participants. We recruited participants who are in the target audience
for this feature: people who had tried Tails a few times but who were
not expert users.
The interface that we designed in January worked really well. Only one
participant had a very bad time and failed some of the missions.
......
......@@ -88,11 +88,17 @@ Roles
For each meeting, we need a notetaker and a facilitator. They should
designate themselves beforehand.
| Month | Notetaker | Facilitator |
| ------------- | -------------- | ------------ |
| January 2018 | intrigeri | mercedes508 |
| February 2018 | anonym | sajolida |
| March 2018 | anonym | intrigeri |
| April 2018 | u | anonym |
| May 2018 | sajolida | segfault |
| June 2018 | intrigeri | u |
| Month | Notetaker | Facilitator |
| -------------- | -------------- | ------------ |
| January 2018 | intrigeri | mercedes508 |
| February 2018 | anonym | sajolida |
| March 2018 | anonym | intrigeri |
| April 2018 | u | anonym |
| May 2018 | sajolida | segfault |
| June 2018 | intrigeri | u |
| July 2018 | | u |
| August 2018 | | |
| September 2018 | | |
| October 2018 | | |
| November 2018 | | |
| December 2018 | | |
......@@ -6,26 +6,14 @@
Releases
========
* [[Tails VERSION was released on MONTH DAY|news/version_VERSION]] ([major|minor] release).
* [[Tails 3.7 was released on May 9|news/version_3.7]] (minor release).
* Tails VERSION+1 is [[scheduled for MONTH DAY|contribute/calendar]].
The following changes were introduced in Tails VERSION:
XXX: Copy the "Changes" section of the release notes, and compact a bit:
* Remove lines about software upgrade (that's not Tails itself).
* Remove screenshots.
* Remove "New features" and "Upgrades and changes" headlines.
* Remove line about Changelog.
* Tails 3.8 is [[scheduled for June 26th|contribute/calendar]].
Code
====
XXX: If you feel like it and developers don't do it themselves,
list important code work that is not covered already by the
Release section (for example, the changes being worked on for
the next version).
* We released a [[Beta version of Tails to test the Additional software feature GUI|news/test_asp-beta/]].
Documentation and website
=========================
......
......@@ -10,6 +10,10 @@ All times are referenced to Berlin and Paris time.
* 2018-06-06, 19:00: [[Contributors meeting|contribute/meetings]]
* 2018-06-25: Build and upload tentative 3.8 ISO image — intrigeri
* 2018-06-26: Test the tentative 3.8 ISO image
* 2018-06-26: **Release 3.8** (Firefox 52.9, bugfix release) — intrigeri is the RM
* 2018-06-28, 16:00: Foundations Team meeting
......
[[!meta title="June 2018 online meeting"]]
[[!toc levels=2]]
# Meta
- Attendees: intrigeri, jvoisin, sajolida, spriver, u
- [[Logs|201806/logs.txt]]
# Volunteers to handle "Hole in the roof" tickets this month
Nope.
# Volunteers to handle important tickets flagged for next release, but without assignee
There's none.
# Availability and plans until the next meeting
- intrigeri:
- availability: ~half time or slightly more.
- plans: keep the FT boat afloat, RM 3.8, finish my ASP
deliverables, stay on top of the VeraCrypt project since I'm now
more involved than I used to.
- sajolida:
- availability: "Full" expect June 11-15.
- plans: User testing for VeraCrypt, bug fixing for Additional
Software, kickoff the collaboration with Simply Secure, hopefully
do some work on donations ([[!tails_ticket 14558]],
[[!tails_ticket 14559]]).
- spriver: Translation platform, German translations
- u: I will do some Tails work this month: translation platform, an
important accounting meeting, Debian work. Otherwise I want to
continue work on another project.
# Strategic planning: Containers/separated identities without rebooting
We brainstormed why this could be a relevant goal:
- Even if we claim we don't support this, for many reasons users do
it anyway.
- Making it easier to switch between one's "regular" identity
(outside of Tails) and a "secret" one (in Tails) was mentioned in
user interviews. But "without rebooting" is too limiting as there
may be other solutions to this problem.
- Such a feature would be very innovative.
- This feature could encourage people to use more
contextual identities.
- Having to maintain multiple persistent configurations for multiple
contextual identities is time-consuming, when most of the
configuration (except identity-specific data) is common to all
of them.
And then we brainstormed why this should not be a goal:
- Perhaps this is not the best solution to the problems this solution
would solve: having Tails running on cheap tablets, or booting
faster, or being able to hibernate and resume quickly could achieve
similar results.
- The main problem is to better support switching between the real
world and Tails (2 identities). Supporting 3 or more would only be
a slight improvement.
- This solution requires a full redesign of Tails, its
implementation, how it presents itself to the user, etc. and the
cost/benefit is not worth is.
And then we reached a consensus among the attendees: we drop this as
a goal but we replace it with a new one that is "make it easier to
switch between a Tails contextual identity and another identity
outside of Tails".
<a id="cris"></a>
# Gather comments on our draft personas
Chapter 2: [[Cris, the sensitive information gatherer|personas#cris]]
XXX: sajolida will add notes here.
(19:00:37) intrigeri: meeeeeting tiiiiime
(19:00:45) intrigeri: sajolida: good idea!
(19:00:51) u: hi!
(19:00:53) intrigeri: I'll be taking notes.
(19:00:58) intrigeri: u is our amazing facilitator today.
(19:01:13) u: oh really?
(19:01:17) intrigeri: and on https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/monthly_meeting/ the lines of the table are empty for the rest of the year.
(19:01:21) u: i forgot about that.
(19:01:49) u: firing up my browser.
(19:02:33) u: drwhax, drebs, muri, kibi, emmapeel: anybody of you here for the meeting?
(19:03:04) u: Let's start with Volunteers to handle Hole in the roof tickets: https://labs.riseup.net/code/versions/198
(19:03:29) u: not me.
(19:03:52) sajolida: not me
(19:03:54) spriver: me neither
(19:03:59) intrigeri: I *think* I took one (that therefore because target version = 3.x). Don't remember which one. That'll be enough anyway.
(19:04:54) u: Next point on the agenda: Volunteers to handle important tickets flagged for next release, but without assignee
(19:05:01) intrigeri: there's none.
(19:05:24) u: There is only one: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15592
(19:05:26) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Bug #15592: Installation instructions link on Tails installer gives 404 - Tails - RiseupLabs Code Repository https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15592
(19:05:38) u: ah but fix committed. good.
(19:06:03) u: What about our next point: Availability and plans until the next meeting
(19:06:51) u: I will do some Tails work this month: translation platform, an important accounting meeting, Debian work. Otherwise I want to continue work on another project.
(19:07:28) spriver: me: Translation platform, German translations
(19:07:40) intrigeri: availability: ~half time or slightly more. plans: keep the FT boat afloat, RM 3.8, finish my ASP deliverables, stay on top of the VeraCrypt project since I'm now more involved than I used to.
(19:08:23) u: sajolida: what about you?
(19:08:52) sajolida: Availability: "Full" expect June 11-15.
Plans: User testing for VeraCrypt, bug fixing for Additional Software, kickoff the collaboration with Simply Secure, hopefully do some work on donations (#14558, #14559).
(19:08:53) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #14558: Analyze donations from the 2017 campaign https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/14558
(19:08:53) Tailsbot: Tails ☺ Feature #14559: Have a permanent incentive to donate on /home https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/14559
(19:09:05) u: yeah!
(19:09:33) u: Next point: Please add your bits to the monthly report: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/monthly_report/report_2018_05/
(19:09:38) intrigeri: done.
(19:10:01) u: me too.
(19:10:07) u: sajolida: too i think.
(19:10:20) spriver: nice (: thanks!
(19:10:29) u: so i guess we just miss the translation metrics
(19:10:44) u: Next: discussions!
(19:10:47) sajolida: spriver: do you mind adding a line about the Additional Software beta?
(19:11:05) u: sajolida: ah let me do that.
(19:11:11) spriver: sajolida: that it was released?
(19:11:17) spriver: okay then
(19:11:29) sajolida: spriver: the beta → https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
(19:11:36) u: spriver: yes and there was a call for testing. but i should take care of this I think :)
(19:11:48) u: Let's discuss: Strategic planning We'll discuss "Containers/separated identities without rebooting [R, +1-1]".
(19:11:56) u: who put this on the agenda? I guess intrigeri?
(19:11:59) intrigeri: that's for me. I didn't prepare it much, we'll see.
(19:12:05) sajolida: meta: we're not reporting ongoing code work very often but this one is big enough for me to realize it's missing...
(19:12:08) intrigeri: yeah, I committed at the summit to ensure we discuss these things.
(19:12:20) u: intrigeri: stage is yours.
(19:12:27) u: sajolida: indeed!
(19:12:28) intrigeri: so, that one was added as a R goal, that is: R for relevance & usefulness goals, expressed in numbers or facts e.g. "triple userbase in 3 years", "you use Tails in Tibet"
(19:12:49) intrigeri: so the question is: is this a Tails goal to support this?
(19:13:35) intrigeri: We can first brainstorm why it should be a goal and then why it shouldn't.
(19:13:50) intrigeri: if my process is too shitty and badly prepared, just tell me and we'll skip it. sorry.
(19:14:21) intrigeri: Does everyone understand what "Containers/separated identities without rebooting" means, first?
(19:14:40) jvoisin: (yes)
(19:14:41) spriver: e.g. something similar to Qubes?
(19:14:57) intrigeri: I don't think Qubes offers any such thing in line with Tails' goals.
(19:15:21) intrigeri: I understand this as: Tails should make it safe to use >1 identities on the same running Tails at the same time.
(19:15:32) intrigeri: i.e. isolating them from each other.
(19:15:35) spriver: ah
(19:16:03) u: intrigeri: sounds like a good plan.
(19:16:09) intrigeri: For now I'd rather not discuss technical details nor feasibility. I bet this will pop up when we brainstorm the "why not?".
(19:17:21) u: do we know how many users request such a thing?
(19:17:28) u: or how many people use Tails like this already?
(19:17:55) intrigeri: I'll start with the obvious one: since we don't support this, despite our warnings etc., people keep doing this because rebooting takes time. So "you should not do that and we don't support it" is a nice theoretical position but in practice many (?) people do exactly what we expect them not to do.
(19:18:35) intrigeri: u: I don't know.
(19:19:27) intrigeri: (and "New identity" works well for people who don't use tabs, but apart of them it's just too painful so even web browsing is affected by the problem)
(19:19:31) u: so should we start with discussing why it shold be a goal?
(19:19:46) intrigeri: u: yes ("We can first brainstorm why it should be a goal and then why it shouldn't.")
(19:20:00) intrigeri: u: sorry I was unclear. let's do this now. that's what I started to do.
(19:20:38) sajolida: i would fully agree on a goal to make it easier to switch between my regular identity and Tails. which is something that was mentioned in interviews, especially with journalists
that could be a different understanding of "Containers/separated identities without rebooting"
but then "rebooting" would be too limiting, for example having Tails running on cheap tablets, or booting faster, or being able to hibernate and resume quickly could achieve similar results
i'm otherwise not interested in "make it safe to use >1 identities on the same Tails"
(19:20:40) u: i think it would allow a smoother user experience to have such a feature, since rebooting would not be necsesary.
(19:21:30) intrigeri: (/me refrains from commenting since it's a brainstorming, for now)
(19:21:36) intrigeri: spriver: ?
(19:21:50) spriver: intrigeri: I'm still thinking
(19:22:01) intrigeri: u: (oops, I'll let you facilitate this discussion too :)
(19:22:13) sajolida: in the interviews i did and in the personas that we sketched, we only have users with: 1 regular identity and 1 secret or special identity or context
(19:22:13) u: intrigeri: no that's fine.
(19:22:30) sajolida: that's the target for me if we want to grow our user base
(19:22:40) u: hm, but are we only talking about identities or is this also about containerizing from a security point of view?
(19:22:48) intrigeri: identities
(19:22:49) u: sajolida: ack
(19:23:23) spriver: I agree with u. it'd also allow to keep configured applications configured the way they're (without needing to reconfigure them after a reboot)
(19:23:39) intrigeri: more "pros"?
(19:23:53) intrigeri: (not me)
(19:25:14) u: i think if such a feature existed, first of all it would be very innovative, it's not like something like this already exists elsewhere really.
(19:26:05) u: i'm unsure what impact such a feature would have yet.
(19:26:36) u: would more people be encouraged to construct different identies? Maybe they did not do that until now because it was complicated. or they did do it but mix them up all the time.
(19:26:48) intrigeri: spriver: While taking notes I realized I'm not sure I understand what you wrote.
(19:27:20) intrigeri: spriver: do you mean something like "using the same persistent config for >1 identities"? i.e. having base config (without identity-specific data) shared accross >1 identities?
(19:27:20) u: intrigeri: i think she means that if one identity has x-z bookmarks, the other one could have their own bookmarks for example.